3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

burning oil, oil around two spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 PM
mlarson29
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil, oil around two spark plugs

05 dodge dakota 4.7 awd quad cab with 166000km. it burns a puff of blue smoke on startup then goes back to regular. I did the plugs and found two fouled plugs both on the right head, thw one closest to the front and then two behind it. im wondering if its the valve seals or the plug gaskets. are thw plugs in thw valve head or in the cylinder head? what do you think it could be. most of the oil was around the threads and I have no coolant in the oil or oil in the rad plus no coolant loss.

Last edited by mlarson29; 04-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be valve seals. Leaking oil down onto the valves. Does it use alot of oil?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 PM
modernmuscle
Amateur

I agree with cheeseburger, it could be the valve seals.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

You need a valve job. And sooner rather than later. Motor oil burns significantly hotter than gas, so it will really put a lot of stress on the rings. And of course it you're fouling plugs, you're probably fouling the rings, too.

This is one of those things that if one side is bad, the otherside is doubtful. So plan on having both heads re-done. Figure new guides (knurling works but is kinda half assed,) at least new exhaust valves, and a gasket set which will include valve seals. Or find a cylinder head exchange and just use your heads as cores.

Sorry.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:04 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
You need a valve job. And sooner rather than later. Motor oil burns significantly hotter than gas, so it will really put a lot of stress on the rings. And of course it you're fouling plugs, you're probably fouling the rings, too.

This is one of those things that if one side is bad, the otherside is doubtful. So plan on having both heads re-done. Figure new guides (knurling works but is kinda half assed,) at least new exhaust valves, and a gasket set which will include valve seals. Or find a cylinder head exchange and just use your heads as cores.

Sorry.
lol its not really economically worth it to get this done there only worth about six grand where im from and getting a shop to do it would robably cost 3 or more grand knowing a buddy got quoted 1700$ for a new head gasket. i think its time to sell to someone who wants it. but i could get two re manufactured heads off rock auto with everything for 550 a head that could always be an option.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:01 AM
kenttt
Professional

You could try replacing the valve stem seals and see if that helps. If you're going to do some of them, you might as well do all of them.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

well funny thing, it just stopped doing it. i added no oil additive just 1 litre of oil that it used at startup i presume. last Saturday i had let the car sit for two days as i did not need it and on monday it puffed out the biggest blue smoke cloud i have ever seen it do so i was like **** me. then when i started it after work nothing there. then since Monday night the smoke has not reappeared and the oil is still at the mark i filled it at. ii guess this lemmon of a truck threw me a bone for once.

Quick Reply: burning oil, oil around two spark plugs