3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

How good is the Durango AWD system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are fuses and there is a fuse for the traction control and stability control.
You can also completely turn off traction control with Diablo Trinity.
There is a mod out there on the charger challenger forums that is supposed to work as well to remove all traction and stability control with a relay and some wiring. I havent found it yet but Ill let you know if I do
STEVE

Old 08-15-2016, 12:58 AM
rayamanelly

Originally Posted by Thekoning
Underpinnings are most certainly NOT the same.
I think you are wrong. I read a link from chrysler that suggest the Durango's awd system is based on jeeps quad Trac 2 system with low range. Only exception is the terrain select, but that's just a gimmick for soccer moms that don't know how to modulate the accelerator pedal. I current own a 2016 R/T and it's only limitations are ground clearance, and articulation.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 PM
cognitanus

Are there different transfer-cases in DD? Some say it's only awd others say there is low range. My DD has a 2 speed transfer case like the GC and in Czech Republic in the hills there were no problems in snow. 6 persons all fully equipped for skiing and 30 cm fresh snow the DD went the way. We pulled out a stuck M-Class and uphill you can go nearly as fast as on wet street. Tires are Toyo Open Country W/T in 265/60R18. I've never had a car good as the DD in Snow.

cognitanus

Old 08-16-2016, 06:45 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by cognitanus
Are there different transfer-cases in DD? Some say it's only awd others say there is low range. My DD has a 2 speed transfer case like the GC and in Czech Republic in the hills there were no problems in snow. 6 persons all fully equipped for skiing and 30 cm fresh snow the DD went the way. We pulled out a stuck M-Class and uphill you can go nearly as fast as on wet street. Tires are Toyo Open Country W/T in 265/60R18. I've never had a car good as the DD in Snow.

cognitanus
For us challenged American unit (SAE) folks, that's just shy of 12 inches of snow (I googled).

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cognitanus

cognitanus
The R/T and other v8 models get the 2 speed transfer case. V6 is stuck with the 1 speed.

Not the same as the Jeep Quadratrac system. It's based on it, but it's still different and not quite as capable as the GC system. I confirmed this with engineers at FCA who designed the drivetrain on these cars. But if you aren't going rock climbing on the Rubicon trail with it, you'll never notice the difference. Personally, I took our durango down some sketchy trails in the deep woods trying to find a shortcut to a main road. Went through mud bogs, soft sand, deep woods. Performed beautifully without even having to put it in AWD low. Unfortunately, the ground clearance killed the lower deflector, lower grill insert, and lower air baffle. Parts are on the way for repair. Lol

Quick Reply: How good is the Durango AWD system?