3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Homelink Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Yesitsstock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink Retrofit?

My 2014 Rallye did not come with Homelink. Can anyone tell me if the wiring for the Homelink system is there? Can I just change the overhead console with the Homelink buttons and plug up the harness? (I had a 4Runner years ago and all that was needed was the overhead with the buttons - plugged right up and worked).
Searched with no info found.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I guess you could pop the console cover off and have a look if no one knows.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:31 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

You can add a universal homelink
They are simply garage door openers, I believe they just have power going to them and the programming is in the small module they are on
STEVE

Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Yesitsstock

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
You can add a universal homelink
They are simply garage door openers, I believe they just have power going to them and the programming is in the small module they are on
STEVE
Yea - Brandmotion makes one, prob what I'll do.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 PM
pjw1967
Veteran

Originally Posted by Yesitsstock
My 2014 Rallye did not come with Homelink. Can anyone tell me if the wiring for the Homelink system is there? Can I just change the overhead console with the Homelink buttons and plug up the harness? (I had a 4Runner years ago and all that was needed was the overhead with the buttons - plugged right up and worked).
Searched with no info found.
An aftermarket Homelink mirror just needs 2 sources of power. I installed one years ago on my Gen 1 Durango SLT and later used the same mirror on a Sentra and a RAV4. Got my money's worth out of it. You need a switched power source, i.e. a wire that is hot only when the key is on, and a always on power source in order to use the garage door buttons when the car is not running. If you can identify those wires in the console you can splice into them. The wires feeding the interior lights in the console should be always hot. If you can't find a switched source there (it powers the autodimming feature), you should be able to run the supplied wire across the headliner and down behind the A pillar. The trick is to find a switched wire inside the cabin as I understand from other posts that there is no obvious channel thru the firewall to access the fuse box in the engine bay. The Gen 1 had a fuse box on the driver's side of the dash.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Yesitsstock

Originally Posted by pjw1967
An aftermarket Homelink mirror just needs 2 sources of power. I installed one years ago on my Gen 1 Durango SLT and later used the same mirror on a Sentra and a RAV4. Got my money's worth out of it. You need a switched power source, i.e. a wire that is hot only when the key is on, and a always on power source in order to use the garage door buttons when the car is not running. If you can identify those wires in the console you can splice into them. The wires feeding the interior lights in the console should be always hot. If you can't find a switched source there (it powers the autodimming feature), you should be able to run the supplied wire across the headliner and down behind the A pillar. The trick is to find a switched wire inside the cabin as I understand from other posts that there is no obvious channel thru the firewall to access the fuse box in the engine bay. The Gen 1 had a fuse box on the driver's side of the dash.
Going through the firewall to access the fuse box was the easiest I have ever done - on the passenger side there was an unused hole with grommet. (I recently installed a remote radar detector).
On the overhead console, there is a big empty spot where some models have the Homelink - I was hoping someone would say it is just a plug and play deal if I bought the Homelink buttoned overhead console..
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quick Reply: Homelink Retrofit?