3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New 3rd Gen owner with questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:13 PM
interex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 3rd Gen owner with questions.

Hey everyone

So I'm new here after just buying my first 3rd Gen Hemi R/T AWD.

I bought the 2012 Durango used this week from a local Dodge dealership with a new 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. The Durango came with a Bullydog GT programmer, and a K&N 77-1563KP CAI which the dealership didn't know either was installed for some reason.

After driving this thing around for a bit I'm very happy with the top end power it has, however there seems to be absolutely no power in the low end, especially on takeoff or cruising town.

I've learned the Durango has a 2300 stall converter and have been told by a few people I should upgrade the torque converter. It just seems so strange because a friends 2012 Hemi Charger (5.7L) doesn't act like this at all and makes me wonder if there may be another issue with my Durango.

Another issue is even with 91 Octane fuel, using the 91 Octane tune from the Bullydog, the car seems to have a large amount of spark knock. I've tried using 91 octane from multiple stations. Could my tuner be outdated and not programming the right values? I've never used Bullydog before, and this one seems to be very limited as to what you can tune, where on other vehicles I use Edge and it seems to give me a lot more options.

So to start off, would upgrading to a 2800-3200 stall wake this thing up in the lower RPMs, or should I consider other options, and does adding the CAI not require other programming changes for the system?

Are there other performance options I should consider for this Durango?

I have looked at supercharger kits for the 3rd Gen 5.7L Hemi with power increases from 110hp to 170hp but not sure if I want to go that route right now or hold off for a bit. I just put down a huge chunk of change on this Durango as it is.

Thanks!

Old 09-25-2015, 06:49 AM
coldsteel
Captain

It sounds like it was driven in a granny-like manner and the transmission adaptives are not bringing on the power in the way you would like.

Does your programmer have a selection for resetting the TCM adaptives?

If not, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and they should reset. Then drive it like you stole it so that is learns your driving habits and not the prior owner's.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:39 AM
interex

Okay, so I've been driving this thing for a while and while I love the Durango, I'm still not sure everything is right.

One thing that really bugs me is the throttle response. For instance, if I WOT while driving, it's like I need to move the gas pedal up and down until it finds a "sweet spot" and then it wakes up and pulls. If I just mash it to the floor and hold it there, it acts weird, doesn't have the pull it should.

Also, driving around town, at a low RPM it sometimes gets a little sputter or a little vibration from the engine unless I give it more fuel.

Are these issues with the CAI? Do I need a tune for use with CAI ?

These issues exist WITH and WITHOUT a tune from the Bullydog.

I've tried the Stock tune, Regular Tune, and Premium Tune, all with MDS disabled.

Recently on a trip I started to receive cylinder misfire on cylinder 1, and the car really had no power, so I took it to a Dodge dealership and they said it might be the MDS system, but then they said it was low on oil, did an oil change and the problem hasn't been back.

This thing really baffles me sometimes.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:34 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Since it has a K&N CAI, maybe the previous owner or the dealership cleaned and re-oiled the air filter. The recipe for oiling those types of filters is pretty mystical and if you don't get it right, you can end up with contaminated MAF sensors. And since a lot of folks assume if a little oil on the filter is good, a little more will be better, it's easy to end up over-oiling the filter. I suppose I'd have to go look at my 2011 Hemi to confirm these use MAF sensors, but a contaminated MAF can cause driveability issues like you describe.

If that still doesn't improve your situation, and datastream mode does not indicate any other issues, you might consider looking in to a Hemifever tune and tuner. His set up REALLY woke up my 2011 Hemi Durango.

I also recall reading a TSB about low oil in these engines and an odd issue it can cause. I don't recall specifically if it was misfires, but that sounds right.

-Rod

Quick Reply: New 3rd Gen owner with questions.