3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fender Flares....because of rust

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 PM
addrenjunky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge1hemi00
those flares sit on the bottom and bolt up it will not cover ur rust patches
these should cover these are my favorite flares http://4wheelonline.com/Prestige_Riv...6636.607601and
$289 not too bad you probably can find cheaper if you search a little more
if you are planing on keeping the truck for a long time they might get bigger while under the flares just saying tho but that is years
I am going to be getting some flares soon for the same reason, what I am wondering is how these attach to the truck? I like the look of these but dont want to drill holes in my truck to mount them as it looks like how you mount them, as that would surely speed up the rust process on our salty wintertime roads. Are those bolts simply for appearance?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by addrenjunky
I am going to be getting some flares soon for the same reason, what I am wondering is how these attach to the truck? I like the look of these but dont want to drill holes in my truck to mount them as it looks like how you mount them, as that would surely speed up the rust process on our salty wintertime roads. Are those bolts simply for appearance?

No drilling - Direct Bolt-On
No power tools are required to
install Prestige fender flares.

From the page link you quoted. There are pre drilled holes along the fenders, I guess they have double sided sticky tape for up on the painted fender part.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

Originally Posted by addrenjunky
One thing you may want to look into is, the fender flairs etching the fender around the edges.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 AM
cody-m-28
Default 4 inches of rust

I have a 2002 Dodge ram 1500 i plan to repair the rust with etc. but is there a set of fender flares that will cover up that must rust. Would it go up the fender 4-5 inches?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 AM
cody-m-28

I have a 2002 Dodge ram 1500 i plan to repair the rust with etc. but is there a set of fender flares that will cover up that must rust. Would it go up the fender 4-5 inches?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
oldskool83

I would'nt use flares unless you have oversized tires and need them. fix the body, remove the bed and have it all coated. seal up the seams too. This should work just fine. Dodge has never had good body designs that help prevent rust.

I am having my bed fixed with new patch panels, then sand blasting the entire underside and coating with line-x. Fender flares can trap water, the body should waxed before installed honestly and let it on also. This helps very much.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 PM
gregorybassett

I had the same problem. I went on ebay and found some for $125 including shipping. They look pretty good too.

Quick Reply: Fender Flares....because of rust