3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Fender Flares....because of rust

Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM
dylansav
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Flares....because of rust

Hey...

So I have some very odd rust popping up. There are two patches, both in the exact same spot on opposite sides of the truck right in the center above the wheel well. The truck is a 2004 5.7 and has been washed very often during the winter and summer. It is coming from the inside out. I did a little investigating and found out that it is forming in between the two walls of the fenders. Just in the back. I also looked it up on other sites and have found other accounts of this happening. They say its defective workmanship somehow...I will put up some pictures of it if any of you are curious. One side is rusted over and the other side is bubbling.

Anyway...

My solution (based on the research) would be to remove the rust on both sides, put some rust converter on it with some rust sealer, put some resin over it, paint, and add fender flares.

What do you all think of that?

Looking at the fender flares, I do not want to spend more than $200 on them and have found a few options. I know nothing of these but found some rubber flares that you cut from a roll and apply. I am not sure if they would fit. I will post the link below to the item.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/rubber-fend...=d18048y2004j1

Do you think the pacer performance rubber flare would go up about 4 inches above the fender?

I REALLY appreciate any of your help/guidance/advice with this. The whole rust thing coming up on both sides kind of put a damper on a few things.

Last edited by dylansav; 05-17-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These appear to screw or fasten on the inside of the fender and do not go up the fender at all.

You'll have to keep looking and post your results, I need something like that too.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM
mpirtle81

i used dodge power wagon flares on mine looks good

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM
dodge1hemi00
Veteran

those flares sit on the bottom and bolt up it will not cover ur rust patches
these should cover these are my favorite flares http://4wheelonline.com/Prestige_Riv...6636.607601and
$289 not too bad you probably can find cheaper if you search a little more
if you are planing on keeping the truck for a long time they might get bigger while under the flares just saying tho but that is years

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM
dnlo613
Rookie

I've worked in collision for over 20 yrs.,and my worst jobs are rust.If i had a solution that would last I'd be a rich man.rust is like cancer,you can cut it out,patch it,treat it with the best product out there,but it always comes back...The only thing i would recommend is a product called POR15 and then the largest covering flares you can get....

Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Matt99
Champion

Yea I would get the POR15 and treat the rust and get some wide flares from Bushwacker, they have a few options and I love mine

Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

I agree with Matt and Dnlo, POR15 and some fat flares will fix the problem til you give it to the next owner haha.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

Could always LineX it, as high up as necessary, inside and out.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going the POR15 route, you might want to look into Chassis Saver. It is supposedly a direct replacement and they have different kinds. I just ordered some today to do my frame and under body. I've seen and read enough to at least give it a whirl.

I also have fender rust that I'm going to take care of as well. I already have chrome style flares so I'm going to use the chassis saver, prime, then color match spray paint it, then put the flares back on.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dylansav
Hey...

So I have some very odd rust popping up. There are two patches, both in the exact same spot on opposite sides of the truck right in the center above the wheel well. The truck is a 2004 5.7 and has been washed very often during the winter and summer. It is coming from the inside out. I did a little investigating and found out that it is forming in between the two walls of the fenders. Just in the back. I also looked it up on other sites and have found other accounts of this happening. They say its defective workmanship somehow...I will put up some pictures of it if any of you are curious. One side is rusted over and the other side is bubbling.
I'd say it's condensation from between the metal panels. All the other part of the fender allow the water to roll off. The top middle is the only place it makes direct contact and is standing, until vehicle movement or after evaporating. If you park on grass or loose stone, your more succeptable to undercarriage moisture and rust formation. Dry pavement keep a vehicle real clean and dry underneath. Also, enclosed garages that aren't heated or vented will create undercarriage moisture.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fender Flares....because of rust