3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

06 2500 with headlight issues...TIPM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weed, I forgot to tell you that the TIPMs are on backorder. My truck as been at dodge over a week now and no idea when they will be in.

Obviously this TIPM locks itself out quite a bit. They said mine ruined the battery as well (something about backfeed? I dunno) and they wont replace that. The guy who takes care of me at the dealer said they have been replacing them right and left though. Sucks that it costs so much

Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM
gman0913
Default Headlight out

I had the same problem, took my 06 2500 took it back back to the dealer and they flashed my conputer because it sends a signal threw the computer to turn on the headlights there are on fuses or relays they are controlled by the computer, at the time your light went out the computer got a signal that no voltage was going out so it then got an overvoltage signal and shut the circuit down to prevent cooked wires.

Hope this helps

Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

I just went through this and the back order here in Canada only lasted for 2 days.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 PM
2006QuadDiesel
Default Resolved?

Originally Posted by contractors Hemi
I just went through this and the back order here in Canada only lasted for 2 days.
Did you ever resolve the issue?

I have no high or low beams only daytime running lights.

Suspect TIPM :-(

Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
contractors Hemi
Rookie

Yes I spent the 1000$ to have it replaced and everything works fine now. I posted pics of he old one torn apart and there was no visable issues or smell.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

damn, for a thousand bucks to have headlights, I believe I might have wired them SOBs to a separate switch for a while or maybe forever.....lol

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
damn, for a thousand bucks to have headlights, I believe I might have wired them SOBs to a separate switch for a while or maybe forever.....lol
weed, when my TIPM was bad, the battery would discharge in less than a day. That means if I had two days off and didnt drive I would have to hook it to a charger.

thats on top of no brake/reverse lights and random electrical gremlins

Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Last Dodge Ever
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not Again!

As I mentioned in this string about a year ago I had this problem and Dodge told me the TIPM was bad after only 30K miles in 3.5 years and I'd have to pay to replace it for $900, because, "it is out of warranty".

I realize nothing lasts forever, things wear out, things break.... A month ago the same damn thing happens again: no drivers side low beam. I tried new and swapping bulbs no dice. It was hard not to have a coniption fit when I went back to the dealer. This time they said it was a bad headlight socket and it took them 1 week to get a new one and solder it in for about $200.

I'll bet you anything the socket was bad initially and it kicked off the TIPM and resulted in Dodge telling me the TIPM was bad costing me an uneeded TIPM charge of $900! What a load of C R A P.

I found lots of good input on here from JEEPFIXITMAN and other blogs although I am not a mechanic and this problem has very little that can be rectified by anyone except Dodge.

The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is in charge of lighting the bulbs when you turn on the headlamp switch. If you go to the underside of the TIPM you will find several connectors. You are looking for the C5 connector and the left low beam wire which is white/dark blue. With a jumper wire, power up the headlamp ckt and see if it comes on full intensity. If so you have a TIPM issue, if not you have corrosion in the wire to the lamp.

Unfortunately the TIPM is self contained and is not serviceable Once it is replaced it has to be initialized to the vehicle as well. This requires a scan tool that is found at a dealership. Sorry for the bad news.

I'm still waiting for a recall or class action lawsuit to drop

Good Luck Y'all

Last Dodge Ever

Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt99
weed, when my TIPM was bad, the battery would discharge in less than a day. That means if I had two days off and didnt drive I would have to hook it to a charger.

thats on top of no brake/reverse lights and random electrical gremlins

Ya know what. My truck was going dead after 3 weeks sitting. I just had to put in a new battery and this one was at 11.34v after just one week.WTF. This tipm is the one the dealer put in when they thought it was the problem to begin with. UGHHH. Why they have to guess and check and not properly diagnose pisses me off. rant end...
I've got no other issue's at all. Other than my batt going dead. Now, when I read the current draw, it's never constant, so something is turning switches on/off internally to cause that?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Ya know what. My truck was going dead after 3 weeks sitting. I just had to put in a new battery and this one was at 11.34v after just one week.WTF. This tipm is the one the dealer put in when they thought it was the problem to begin with. UGHHH. Why they have to guess and check and not properly diagnose pisses me off. rant end...
I've got no other issue's at all. Other than my batt going dead. Now, when I read the current draw, it's never constant, so something is turning switches on/off internally to cause that?
I dont know if you saw my thread ahwile ago about this, I had weird numbers at random times and they didnt make since at all, sometimes they were there and 12v, sometimes more/less, and sometimes not there. I thought I had a parasitic draw or short somewhere.

The TIPM seems to be a pretty big issue in the 06-08 models and needs to be fixed. A recall or something. These things are constantly on backorder letting you know they are a hot item. I realize the radio staying on after you take the key out is cool but Ill take a $0.10 fuse over this thing anyday.

Quick Reply: 06 2500 with headlight issues...TIPM?