3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 4.7 head gasket job!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
lightsout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 4.7 head gasket job!!

hi first time post! can any one help me need some diagrams on cam timing marks ect, and tools needed to do a headgasket job on a 02 4.7 ram. any help would be great thanks guys

Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
KingsMan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lightsout
hi first time post! can any one help me need some diagrams on cam timing marks ect, and tools needed to do a headgasket job on a 02 4.7 ram. any help would be great thanks guys
The link Weedahoe provided is an excellent reference!

Your best friends on the job are going to be an air ratchet and a 3/8 drive ratchet that has a double jointed handle.

When I did my heads last fall, I broke the timing chain tensioner by clamping it too hard. Be careful there. If you take off the lower timing chain sprockets as shown in Weedahoe's reference (I didn't until I broke the tensioner), you might as well replace both tensioners anyway. They're made of plastic and probably need replacing.

Mark your chains as shown and you'll have no problem lining things up again. There are dots on both lower sprockets and "V8" marks on the cam sprockets. As long as they're lined up as shown you'll be fine. I always rotate the motor a minimum of four revs by hand before cranking it to make sure there's no interference or chain alignment problems.

Also, be careful when removing or reinstalling the alternator. I managed to drop mine on the MAP sensor and busted it. Not a big expense but another trip to the parts house late on a Saturday evening...

You can't help but get water into the oil pan when you take off the timing chain cover. Be prepared to change oil when you're finished.

While you have the heads off, carbon buildup will probably come loose and get into the valve stems. Once you're all finished and the motor's running, be sure to run Seafoam through a vacuum line into the intake (or spray cans into the throttle body) to burn off that carbon buildup. I didn't know about this at the time, and my #1 cylinder cam follower kept falling out because of a sticky exhaust valve. I sprayed a can and a half (keep the RPM's up a little), let it sit and soak for a couple hours then started it and ran the fire outta the thing. You'll really impress your neighbors with the smoke show. That's just the carbon burning off and won't last long.

I took out the radiator before I started. That gives you enough room to stand in the engine compartment to better reach the back of the motor once you've taken off the timing chain cover.

Last edited by KingsMan; 06-03-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 2002 4.7 head gasket job!!