3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04' Ram - Power Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 AM
joshsram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04' Ram - Power Steering Problems

I've got an 04 Dodge Ram. Ive had some power steering problems with it and had to replace the pump twice after taking it off-road a bit. Anyway, havent taken it off-road in a while and now the power steering is acting up. Been checking it for a week or two and there are no leaks. The pump is also fine as I can see the fluid spinning when the truck is idling. Not sure what the problem is. I have absolutely no power steering at all unless I give it gas. When I give it gas, even just a little bit, the steering loosens up and its fine. Tried bleeding it, that didn't work, and the belt doesn't seem lose. Anyone experienced any similar problems?

- Josh

Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So when you give it gas it loosens up and feels fine? Which means the engine is spinning faster which means the pump is spinning faster.....see the correlation there?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 AM
joshsram

So you think its the pump again huh? I figured if the pump was running it was fine. Any other potential remedies that come to mind? I mean, I can try changing the pump out...again. Just a pain in the butt if it turns out to be something else.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats what I think.

I have a Viair 380C on-board air compressor that will will turn on, run and pump up to about 60-80psi whereas it used to pump 200psi. I know it needs rebuilding but Ive got too many other projects to finish first. My point is just because it spins and works doesnt mean it works 100%

You can and should download the Service Manuals from the links in my signature. The only two components you have in the power steering system is the pump and the rack.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
leiserfamily
Default Had the same issue

I replaced my pump four times, also replaced the clamps on the hoses, but came down to the rack being toast. I found a new one for like $218 on line and was able to put it in myself and it is not very difficult took a couple hours I think and I am no mechanic, but I know how to do some stuff. The only extra I had to pay for was to have an alignment done.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
clswitzer
Smile Help!

Could it be the pressure valve? If so is that part of the pump I saw in another power steering leak post that there is a pressure switch. My problem with my 04 1500 is that I had leaks at the cooler connection. I replace the return line and put worm clamps on it. Then I started getting leaks on the other line on it so I replaced the cooler. That cured that and then I saw it was leaking on the rack at the pressure line. I went to change the pressure line and now I have leaks at both the cooler connections and the pressure line connection on the rack. The only thing I can figure is the pump is putting out to much pressure. So I am assuming the pressure regulator is in the pump and I need to replace the pump. The service manual says the pressure can be too high or too low. Any one help with this please I hate to keep throwing parts at it. (EDIT) Just looked at the service manual and the setup for the 4.7 does not have the pressure switch in the line so where is the pressure regulator is it in the pump itself?

Last edited by clswitzer; 05-16-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 04' Ram - Power Steering Problems