3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Adding Fog lights to 08 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 PM
redram2007
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish my dealership was awesome like that. I dont know them personally so maybe thats it.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Zoomin0074
Amateur

Originally Posted by redram2007
Did they turn right on or did you have to get them programmed? I think i seen someone say some 06's dont need to be programmed but mine being an 07 im pretty sure i have the TIMP system.
Mine did turn on without any other intervention.. I do have the SLT but it came with those louvered inserts instead of fogs.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks, still researching.

Thanks to all who replied.
I got a diagram of the headlight switch from the dealer, There's not separate wiring for the fog lamps in the dash, it's just an additional resistor presented to the line into the instrument cluster computer. That tells the TIPM to turn on the Fogs. I asked the Dodge Body builder group if the relay or (solid state driver) is already in my TIPM and they didn't answer the question. I re-asked.
(If there was only one TIPM used in 2008 I'm good. If not, I'll need to look at the circuit board and determine if there's a driver or relay marked "fog" on it.
The bodybuilder site is quite helpful.
Here's the TIPM for my year: http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...owermodule.pdf and the remaining electrical is all in there.
The only problem is there's a lot of stuff that says "except base". My truck is an ST, but it came with full power accessories, the TRX leveling components and stickers, (But no skid plate etc.) So this is going to be fun trying to figure out what's there and what's not.

The fog wiring's there, the TIPM is there. Who knows if the relay for the fogs is...

Anyone know if there's only one TIPM module used in 2008?

Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Why not simply install a switch and run your own wiring to aftermarket fog lights? You flip the switch up, they're on. You flip the switch down, they're off. You can get the whole damn kit for $30 on Ebay. Or you can spend the next several weeks trying to screw around with a factory system that may or may not be there.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:16 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Default Already have kit. Trying to avoid more wire & odd switch

I already have the kit with the relay, brackets and most the wiring.
I'm trying to avoid adding a wire through the firewall, adding a switch that doesn't look right in the cab, and duplicates what's already installed.
I have the only year truck with the 310HP 4.7 liter V8 and a 6SP manual.
I'm keeping it forever, I want to do this right.
So I see myself as "persnickety". (Look it up.)
And yes I'm just going to get an OEM light switch with the fog button and try it.
If it doesn't work, I'll go to the dealer and get the TIPM reprogrammed.
After all that if it doesn't work, then yes I'll have learned some stuff, I'll share it with the community, and wire it all up the old fashioned way. (And probably gripe about the Dodge engineers a little....)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay so then what you can do is either wire the switch on the relay to the highbeam or lowbeams (or if you have OEM fogs you can wire it to that) so that when you turn w/e you hook them up to on you're aux lights will turn on too....

If they are indeed FOG LIGHTS I would suggest only hooking the relay up to either the running/parking lights OR the Low Beam circuit....

Otherwise suck it up and do it the right way and run a switch into the cabin for the Relay, your truck your call man.

You might also consider purchasing the actual OEM headlight switch that has the fog light ability pre-built in, the switch on it should work as intended, but it may dead-end somewhere, but you might still be able to hook the relay to it, but that will still require putting a wire or two through the firewall.

I mean there are a million and a half ways to wire your auxiliary lights, it really comes down to how safe, and effective it is, aesthetics are secondary, but there are a ton of switches that you can buy from Dodge (or Aftermarket Vendors) that look like they are suppose to be there right from the factory.

I would also STRONGLY Advise AGAINST messing with the internals of the TIPM system as it is extremely picky and if it doesn't like what it see's or it see's something that it isn't programmed to see, it will shut down all of the transistors and digital relays in the system to protect itself. I've done some reading on the TIPM system and the fact that it hasn't been decoded yet is a pretty good indication it shouldn't be messed with. That's my $.02 on that front.

You choose... Enjoy.

Last edited by Izero; 11-02-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Dolt_Dodger
Amateur
Default Factory switch can only control the TIPM

Izero,
I appreciate your input. Unfortunately the factory headlight switch (which I'm going to buy) can only send a signal to the cluster, which sends a command to the TIPM.
Look at the headlight switch on page two here:
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...ntlighting.pdf
The headlight switch will just add a parallel resistor in the path momentarily when you press the **** for fogs.
page 5 shows the output of the TIPM to the Fog lights.
and if you've got insomnia, you can look at everything the TIMP connects to here:
http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...owermodule.pdf

I still haven't gotten an answer as to whether there are multiple versions of the TIPM for 2008, so I'll be ordering the factory switch and giving it a try.
I'll let the forum know whether it worked or not.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've looked at the second link before, and that's why I advise against changing anything in there physically.

Good to know you're doing your homework.

If the OEM fog switch works and you get power to the existing wiring you should be able to hook up your relay to those wires.

If not, then you might just need the dealer to reprogram the TIPM system for you to activate the fogs.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 AM
redram2007
Veteran

So this might be a silly/stupid question but i purchased and installed oem fog lights, harness, bezel, but no fog light switch yet. I was just curious is there any way to tap the fog light harness in to the headlamp wiring harness to get them to come on when both low and high beams are on or either low or high? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Adding Fog lights to 08 1500