3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Driveshaft Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 PM
McCaigBro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Driveshaft Issue

Front driveshaft is broken or in the process of. My truck is 4WD and the guy I took it to said that with my truck it isn't a vital part to the way the truck runs and that I could just take off the front shaft and it would run fine through the back driveshaft without the annoying clicking noise it makes currently. But the 4WD wouldn't be able to be used until I replaced the part.

Obviously I can go without the 4WD for awhile but eventually I want to get it fixed. What is the best route to go, junk yard, new part totally?

Is the guy I took it to even correct? He seemed to know what he was talking about.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Easy_e
Amateur

I believe your mechanic is correct, but what does he intend to do exactly? What is he removing exactly?

Basically your front axles "free spin" the front differential when you drive in 2wd. When you put it into 4wd, the transfer case sends power from your transmission to the front and rear differentials. Your front and rear diffs are powered when you are in 4wd and then transmits that power to the axles.

You actually might notice a slight mpg improvement if he disconnects the axles to the front diff.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet he is talking about your front CV shafts. If he removes the front drive shaft, you will still hear the clicking or whatever. I removed both my front CV shafts for about half a year without any problems. I just applied grease to the splined shafts off the hub and the diff so things would rust. I noticed about a 2-3 mpg increase during that time too.

I eventually got cardone HD cv axles from rock auto.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
stenerson
Veteran

Originally Posted by McCaigBro
Obviously I can go without the 4WD for awhile but eventually I want to get it fixed. What is the best route to go, junk yard, new part totally?

Is the guy I took it to even correct? He seemed to know what he was talking about.

It's probably just the front driveshaft's ujoint that needs replacing. When it starts to seize up it makes that clicking noise. 15 dollar repair if you do it yourself using free rental tool from autozone or AAP.
But yeah you don't need it if you don't use 4wd...I removed it and drove without it most of last year. Repaired it just in time for snow season.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 AM
Royal Gates

Have you guys noticed any play where the inner cv pod connects to the out put shaft? Mine seem waubbly and I am hearing a slight clunk at lower speeds. I noticed the looseness when I replaced my suspension parts and hubb bearings. I rechecked the suspension and that is the only thing loose. I do also see some rusting. I'm thinking it's not supposed to be so loose and there must be something up with this because I see that the axles (front) are readily available.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:29 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine wobbles a little bit too and I just replaced mine. All that is holding it on is the splined shaft and a c-clip, nothing really bolts it down solid.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avoid junkyards, Your labour and $$ is not worth replacing non warranty mecanical parts.

Quick Reply: Front Driveshaft Issue