3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

L.E.D. Brake Light Issue... Any suggestions would rock!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Veibz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy L.E.D. Brake Light Issue... Any suggestions would rock!

Hey guys,

I have had LED tail lamps on the back of my truck for about 2 years now with ZERO issues...simple plug n play set up-

(Maxzone Depot part # 334-1909PXAS2C can be found at http://maxzone.com/maxzone09/viewpro...334-1909PXAS2C)

About a week ago the "Lamp Out" indicator kept going on and off, on then off, off then on, which resulted in a very annoying ding ding ding ding.

NOW, the lamp out indicator stays on... it appears the culprit is the back driver side brake light (Passenger side works perfect).

The symptom: When I hit the brake pedal... the brake light "Strobes". It does not light up, then after about 2 seconds, it gives a quick flash, then back out again for the whole duration that I hold the pedal down for.

I took the lamp out and straight wired it to an extra 12V battery I had and everything seems to work PERFECTLY. ALL of the fuses are good, so I am stumped.

Any insights would be appreciated

Thanks DF!

Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Swap right and left tail lamps. See if the problem moves. Then you'll have somewhat of an answer.

There is a possibility the front control module driver got overheated.

Last edited by TNtech; 04-19-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Veibz
Professional

Thank you! I will give it a whirl tomorrow to see what happens! Can't believe I didn't even think of that. Durrrr

Old 04-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Veibz
Professional

I plugged the driver side lamp into the passenger side...the problem carried over to the passenger side so I threw the OEM lamps back in just for the time being... They are working perfectly....

I am back to powering the culprit tail lamp directly from a 12v source. Again, lamp is acting perfectly when direct power applied to it. WEIRD!? The stock tail lamps are working perfectly as well. I'm beyond stumped

Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to simulate running voltage... which is likely 13-16VDC.... I bet the problem might surface at a higher voltage... My best bet is that one tail light is bad... time for new ones

Quick Reply: L.E.D. Brake Light Issue... Any suggestions would rock!