3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

oxygen sensor ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbb1
I did order a code reader yesterday LOL
off AMAZON, but didn't notice till I placed the order that its 14-21 days till it gets here ??
but do have one on its way
I am just hoping I get my new inspection sticker and it stays off till that happens
they charge me pass or fail so, non point in spending money twice if I can !
Thanks everyone for the help and info
much appreciate it!
In my state if the check engine light has been out for 150 miles you will pass inspection. You are past that mileage and more, so I'd go right now and have it inspected

Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 PM
mrbb1
Professional

less than 40k on new sensors

Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by cd36c
I don't understand, if they are able to tell you it is a potential oxygen sensor issue, there has to be a number showing. Like I said, an oxygen sensor doesn't typically throw a code immediately on startup, so I'm not convinced you have bad oxygen sensors.

Also FYI, only 2 of the 4 oxygen sensors would help with emissions, the other two only monitor the catalytic converter, they don't need to be replaced until they have failed completely, as they in no way control how the engine runs.

I'm sorry, but I can't hypothesize about what may be wrong without that code number. This is all you need to read codes, $15 and free shipping, it'll tell you what the engine code is:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...bd+code+reader

Or go to the Dodge Dealer, and get them to pull codes. Remember a code won't tell you what has failed, it will only point you in a general area, but it will never tell you definitively that Part X has failed and needs replacing.

In the end, it doesn't matter how you get there you just need to know what the exact code is to even start helping.

This statement is true,but the emission people want to see what the two rear sensors are saying since that is what your vehicle is emitting. They could care less how the truck is running, but they want to know how efficient the cat is and that's told by the rear sensor. Front controls engine function and rear monitors cat efficiency....and cat efficiency= emissions

Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbb1
less than 40k on new sensors
What brand were the sensors? If the 3rd Gen are anything like 2nd Gen, best performance is obtained with NTK O2 sensors. Other brands, and especially generic sensors, don't fare too well.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM
mrbb1
Professional

they were and are Mopar OEM sensor's

I drove 500+ miles and then it tripped again
I just ordered two new rear O2 sensors(mopar one's) and plan to just replace them, and see

My inspection stisker doesn't run out till 8/14
so, will be bying time to make sure its not tripping still, as failing can turn into a pain in the A$$,
after I replace the rear 2, if it comes on again, will hit my dealer and see what they say
thanks for the continued suggestions

Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Buggsy
Professional

There are a few conditions that will clear after a set amount of run time. I get the evap leak code periodically. If I don't clear it myself, it will clear after opening and closing the gas cap and driving down the highway for 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: oxygen sensor ??