3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Silverstar zXe headlights in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Silverstar zXe headlights in my truck

A Quick Review of the Sylvania zXe Headlights for my 2006 Ram

I recently picked up a set of new Sylvania zXe headlights for my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. Ive always been a fan of Sylvania lights and I have had a set of their older Silverstars in my truck since 2010 or so. I haven’t had any complaints with my old headlights, but I had been looking for something a bit brighter and a bit whiter for my truck when I saw an ad online for the zXe line. The product pitch claimed that they were as bright and as bright white as a typical HID upgrade package but without the headache of installing all of the components of an aftermarket HID package.

I was skeptical, but I needed new headlights and internet ads never lie, right? Right…so I picked up a set of the Sylvania Silverstar zXe headlights for my truck. They are $60 for the set at my local auto parts store…but you might be able to find them a little cheaper online.

Now, between my various trucks and cars, I’ve tried a great many different headlight bulbs in an effort to find an option that presents the most light and – frankly – I want to like the way that they look. My previous headlights were nice and bright, but they had more of a yellowish tint to them relative to both your average HID kit and my current fog lights. I hated that they didn’t quite match the fog lights. As promised, the Silverstar zXe headlights are whiter and have more of that “blast” of light that you get with an HID. I noticed a definite difference in the “color temperature” of the new bulbs and more importantly, these are definitely brighter than my previous headlights.

Once again, I am reminded why I run Sylvania Silverstar headlights in all of my vehicles and I am pleased to report that the zXe makes good on the promise of providing an HID-like brightness in a conventional bulb. I tried to take some pictures to catch the color difference, but it is very hard to see in pictures. However, the two shots shown here – taken from the exact same angle (shooting over the driver’s side fender) shows the slight difference in brightness. It is a shame that I don’t have an OEM bulb laying around, as I’m sure that would make for a stark comparison.

Old headlights:

New headlights:

All that is left now is my Demon…which has some grody old headlights with full on yellow beams. Fortunately, Sylvania is supposed to roll out a sealed beam headlight that will fit the Demon soon without any wiring changes. I cannot wait for those to hit the market, as I hate the dull look of my old school headlights.

Attached Thumbnails New Silverstar zXe headlights in my truck-badstratrt-2554-albums-new-album-june-2009-3753-picture-06-ram-old-headlights-47681.jpg   New Silverstar zXe headlights in my truck-badstratrt-2554-albums-new-album-june-2009-3753-picture-06-ram-new-zxe-headlights-47682.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BadStratRT

All that is left now is my Demon…which has some grody old headlights with full on yellow beams. Fortunately, Sylvania is supposed to roll out a sealed beam headlight that will fit the Demon soon without any wiring changes. I cannot wait for those to hit the market, as I hate the dull look of my old school headlights.
Why not try something like these?

http://hidkitpros.com/shop/5x7-seale...ed-conversion/

You can also swap to a diamond style housing with interchangeable bulbs, they plug into factory wiring and look/light way better.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Why not try something like these?

http://hidkitpros.com/shop/5x7-seale...ed-conversion/

You can also swap to a diamond style housing with interchangeable bulbs, they plug into factory wiring and look/light way better.
I dont want anything that looks that modern. Everything else with my demon is very old school design so i want a brighter light, but i want them to look closer to stock when not on.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
I dont want anything that looks that modern. Everything else with my demon is very old school design so i want a brighter light, but i want them to look closer to stock when not on.
Makes sense there.

If the sylvania's work well I may grab a set for our old truck.

Quick Reply: New Silverstar zXe headlights in my truck