3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best way to diagnose engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 11:41 AM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to diagnose engine noise

So my truck is making another engine noise I cant diagnose the source. its a 2003 hemi, 126k miles. Last time I had an issue, I took the belt off and spun the pulleys by hand and it was the alternator. it didnt take much to spin the alt. pulley to reproduce the sound. When I replaced it I also replaced both idler pulleys. That was last feb. Probably 3 years ago I replaced the PS pump. The noise im now hearing is very similar to when the alternator bearings went out. I replaced the upper idler pulley and serpentine belt because I thought that the pulley was bad. its not. the problem im having is that I guess I cant spin the pulleys by hand fast enough to reproduce the sound. And I am spinning the idler pulleys, belt tensioner pulley, AC and PS pump pullys and spinning the fan. The water pump has the tiniest weep of water, but there is 0 play in the bearings. Is there some way I can spin these damn pulleys faster to try to diagnose this? I mean I know I can wait for it to get worse, but I like to replace stuff at the first sign of an issue. That's the only way to keep on top of an old dodge...lol.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:06 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using a small hand held battery powered pistol style drill, to spin up a pulley etc.
Use a small buffing wheel attachment in the drill and push it against a pulley or wheel etc.
There should be enough friction to drive a pulley up to speed if there's enough space to get a pistol drill in there?
Either that or use a mechanics stethoscope. A stethoscope placed onto a bad pulley/bearing will be very obvious.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 12-15-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for the weeping anti-freeze.... replace the water pump.

unless you have AAA... for towing... and a cell phone...

it will weep for a while.. then you are on the side of the road. overheated...

as for drill and buffing wheel.. use a battery powered one... doing it for years.

Quick Reply: Best way to diagnose engine noise