3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

driver side cv axle....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:18 PM
valis.block
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry driver side cv axle....

So two months ago it snowed and had to use my 4 wheel drive to get around post and ended up somehow blowing out my front differential.. had it along with my driver side cv axle replaced and now two months later i noticed the seal going into my diff popped out took my truck in to get a leveling kit put on and asked if they could pop it back in and was told it only pops out if something is wrong took it back to the place i got the repairs and they replaced the "faulty" cv axle they put in according to them.. drove it five miles to a gas station and checked it out while i was pumping gas.... 1. the boot closest to the wheel was already cut leaking grease 2. I put it in four high and drove in a circle just to make sure it had proper function but when i turned to the left there was tension then a pop and what do you know the seal was out and my cv has a ton of play once again taking back in tomorrow since they have yet to fix the problem from 2 months ago but was wonder if y'all had any ideas why it would keep doing this?????

Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing difficult about cv shafts replacement. Have used dozens of Cardone shafts on Ram 1500s, ain't had a bad one yet. Only thing I can think of is they aren't catching that c clip when they are inserting the inner shaft...

Old 07-27-2015, 01:04 AM
valis.block

i take it in tomorrow ill mention it thanks

Old 04-11-2020, 02:43 PM
redbear247

If it's an automatic check the throttle valve and torque shaft assembly. Seems strange but I believe they were recalled and updated and they tend to cause problems at zero throttle for the most part. I'm not an expert. It just seems that I've come across that at some point. It would explain why it goes away with the throttle on and that it comes and goes with tire rotation and the like because that would disturb it enough to temporarily jar it into correct position. They tended to cause an issue with downshift from four to three after the throttle was released. Usually the sound seems to come from the driveshaft.

Last edited by redbear247; 04-11-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted to the wrong thread

Quick Reply: driver side cv axle....