3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchip for optimizing gears for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Elex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchip for optimizing gears for towing?

I have a 2004 CC RAM 1500 with a 5.7L gasser with 100,000 miles on it. I tow a 6500-7000 lb KZ-Spree TT. The factory algorithms for gear changes are far from optimum It shifts into high and then immediately into OD way to early (even in tow mode), when trying to accelerate onto an expressway.

Also, when crusing, it requires WOT to downshift and will not hold the downshift without continuing WOT. I cannot crusie up a mild hill, only charge up it. This burns to much gas and causes unnecessary wear on the engine accessories. I have had the computer re-flashed at the dealership, no help. The tranny itself seems to be OK and offers no OBD2 codes.

Has any one installed a Superchip and have any knowledge of the gear change options it affords. The online published information doesn't give any details.

I have emailed Superchip but they haven't given me the courtesy of a reply yet. Hope that is not indicative of thier customer support.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:20 AM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same truck. I opted for re gearing. A tuner will give you limited options. Many charge extra for the trans tune portion.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Superchips customer support sucks. But the tuner is worth it, IMO. There is a trans tuning option you can add for like $40 more. Gives you total control of the transmission.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had Superchips, the transmission shift tuning will help some, but is very limited on the '04 compared to the '05 which unlike an '04 has a dedicated TCM. Although it will let you reduce torque management on an '04 which is part of your battle. You'll get enough extra benefit from the tuner to warrant the cost as well.

Best bet, by far, go to 4.56 gears. Been there, done that. In all the plethora of mods I did to my '04 Hemi 4x4, the best without question was regearing.

The problem is the transmission is tuned to protect itself and the Hemi, as solid of an engine as its proven to be, makes most of its power way too high in the RPM band to be a good tow vehicle. 4.56s will help keep it up into the power band and will have the transmission not searching for the right gear under load nearly as much...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-24-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Superchip for optimizing gears for towing?