3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram 1500 Hemi, Diablo T1000 or Super Chips? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the SC 3845, Its Super chips newest programmer, I updated it but have not yet installed it in my truck. I am a bit nervous as it is brand new and just released,I do hope they have all the bugs worked out. The programmer does look and feel well made.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/src-3845

Summit Priced matched amazon, I got it for $306.00

Old 05-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

I finally got around to downloading a tune in the truck, There was a issue with the programmer at first as there was no Tow Tune, after speaking with SC They got me reprogrammed and on my way.

I installed the 93 Tune and disabled or raised the speed limiter as it is not very clear as to what it does.

The truck seems more responsive and I did pick up about 1.5 MPG. I guess it is ok for the money but I would not say it is night and day difference. I may try to mess with tranny tune a bit and see what that does. I do wish it was a little quicker to do as it takes 20-30 min to change tunes.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:09 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe.G
I finally got around to downloading a tune in the truck, There was a issue with the programmer at first as there was no Tow Tune, after speaking with SC They got me reprogrammed and on my way.

I installed the 93 Tune and disabled or raised the speed limiter as it is not very clear as to what it does.

The truck seems more responsive and I did pick up about 1.5 MPG. I guess it is ok for the money but I would not say it is night and day difference. I may try to mess with tranny tune a bit and see what that does. I do wish it was a little quicker to do as it takes 20-30 min to change tunes.
Hmm did you make sure you had 93 octane already in?

Only reason I ask is because when I installed the 91 performance tune there was no mistaking the power gains, it was a whole new truck and even my friend who used to own it commented about how the truck seemed like an animal and that was without me telling him I had installed the tuner. The first burnout and acceleration attempts I did had me and my dad smiling big time about the gains.

As for the speed limiter setup, I was able to adjust on the old 3815 tuner every mph I wanted to shut it down at up to 140mph, maybe on the new SC FlashPaq they have it where its either on or its off? who knows.

I really wouldn't worry about if the new SC FlashPaq has any bugs worked out because for one, they have a ton of experience tuning these vehicles and for all purposes its probably the same tune a lot of us have been running with minor tweaks for the better for the last few years. I would bet the only real updated thing about it is the kinds of newer vehicles it supports and their quirks.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

Yeah they had me download a file and it added the features missing, I had about 1/2 to 3/4 tank of 93 in it and the rest was 89. Ill keep 93 in it from now on. Ill give it sometime as I have not really tried it much.

The new programmer just says raise limiter yes or no. I have no idea how much it raises it or if it shuts it off.

I want to try the trans tuning just trying to find a good starting point.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:00 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That kind of makes me glad to have the older 3815 tuner, you can actually adjust things rather than answer yes or no questions lol

Quick Reply: 04 Ram 1500 Hemi, Diablo T1000 or Super Chips? Which is better?