3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N CAI or should I get a different 1, Is there a Motor cover after CAI Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the S&B CAI today, it took about 2 hours with out rushing, I must say this Intake is very well made, and fit perfect. Nothing needed to be modified and the directions were well written. I have not taken the truck for a ride yet so I can not comment on sound but just starting it in the shop it sounds the same as stock I am sure that will change a bit when driving. I did leave the optional plug out of the bottom as they say this restricts flow and does not really add a lot of heat. I read people say they just removed 2 bolts on the wheel liner but I found it much easier to just remove them all and let it hang.

So far so good, I did add a Small K&N filter to the vent coming out of the Oil fill and plugged it at the S&B housing.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 hours for a cold air intake? hopefully that included the time the wife was pleasuring you and multiple trips to the house for a beer refill! . I could have gotten at least one of the heads off in 2 hours. But I'm glad you got it on, you'll love it!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

I had my 8 Year old son helping me, So the bolts took a bit longer to tighten and loosen. But yes Probably could have done it in 30 to 45 min my self.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

Took the truck out today, I don't really feel and difference in power or the way the truck runs. The sound is a little louder but annoying, it may be more noticeable pulling a hill with a heavy load. I wasn't really expecting a difference so i am not disappointed. I am very happy with the fit,finish and look of this CAI.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by Joe.G
Took the truck out today, I don't really feel and difference in power or the way the truck runs. The sound is a little louder but annoying, it may be more noticeable pulling a hill with a heavy load. I wasn't really expecting a difference so i am not disappointed. I am very happy with the fit,finish and look of this CAI.
If you can hear the difference of a Cold Air Intake then your exhaust is stock or you got ripped on your performance mufflers lol.

Keep in mind K&N Intakes which are dyno tuned only give you 11hp on the high end, its maybe good for a tenth of a second overall, so a home made intake may not achieve those results. Its not that the K&N or your home made intakes are a sham, its that Dodge actually put a decent intake system on their engines already so theres only marginal room for improvement, but with that said the intakes usually do better if you have a free flowing exhaust. Getting more air in an engine does nothing if you can't get more air out of the engine.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:22 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
If you can hear the difference of a Cold Air Intake then your exhaust is stock or you got ripped on your performance mufflers lol.

Keep in mind K&N Intakes which are dyno tuned only give you 11hp on the high end, its maybe good for a tenth of a second overall, so a home made intake may not achieve those results. Its not that the K&N or your home made intakes are a sham, its that Dodge actually put a decent intake system on their engines already so theres only marginal room for improvement, but with that said the intakes usually do better if you have a free flowing exhaust. Getting more air in an engine does nothing if you can't get more air out of the engine.

100% truth. A lot of people don't realize that. Or the fact you will never really "feel" any power gains. Yes, it is noisier, that's the only reason I use them.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

I understand this, I just try to reply to all my posts with my findings, I will add an exhaust at somepoint, I think tuner is next. I am not trying to go crazy just wake it up a bit and make it run better.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I understand this, I just try to reply to all my posts with my findings, I will add an exhaust at somepoint, I think tuner is next. I am not trying to go crazy just wake it up a bit and make it run better.
Tuner is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

You'll notice the gains of the intake after the exhaust and tuner.

The tuner will make it a completely different truck, best bang for the buck hands down. I used an old Superchips 3815 tuner with the 91 octane tune and the amount of power the truck has is just immense, it screams. My single cab Hemi truck went from running a 7.18 second 0-60 to a 6.37 second 0-60mph. Quarter mile used to be 15.4 and now its down to 14.4 consistently and taking on cars half its weight instead of trucks.

One of my favorite things about the tuner is mph correction for tire sizes, I used my GPS along with radar road signs to verify my speedo and set it accordingly with the tuner. I also raised the rev limiter to 6150rpm and shift points by 5mph, and that got rid of the 2nd gear lag and now it literally jumps into second gear with force and pins you all the way to 100mph. I put the speed limiter up to the max of 140mph, fastest I've had it is maybe 128mph (estimated by rpms above speedo stop) which is absolutely screaming in a 5300lb vehicle and with a longer road and a driver with more nerve it could have definitely gone faster.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 02-09-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

I am waiting for the new Super chips tuner to be released, think I am going to try that one.

Quick Reply: K&N CAI or should I get a different 1, Is there a Motor cover after CAI Install?