3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N CAI or should I get a different 1, Is there a Motor cover after CAI Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N CAI or should I get a different 1, Is there a Motor cover after CAI Install?

Hi, I am leaning toward the Black Plastic piped CAI from K&N, I am not stuck on getting this one and I am open to suggestions for other brands, I want it to function look good and fit well.

Also After I install it is there a cover that I can get to cover the spark plug wires and what not? after removing the Hemi Hat it may look a bit unfinished under there.

Is the CAI annoyingly loud? Is it worth it?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

It is not worth it at all. It will be loud. The only reason I run them is because I like the sound. Sounds like the secondaries opening up on old 4 bbl carburetors. I buy the cheapest I can find. Usually from eBay or Amazon. A K&N, you are mostly paying for the name. You may gain a couple horses, but not enough to justify the cost of an expensive one. Arguments on this subject are plentiful. I'm speaking from personal experience. It's your truck and your money. IMO you're better off investing in a tuner.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

I am getting a Super Chip tuner next month.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

A CAI definitely won't hurt. Combine that with a tuner and a free flowing exhaust. Should be good for some ponies. I'd try to find a cheaper CAI first and see if you like it before dropping hundreds on a brand name. The term CAI is misleading unless it gets the filter completely out of the engine compartment. It's really more a Ram Air filter and sucks in hot engine compartment air.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can find what's called "half covers". They usually come on the LX cars with Hemis. I used to have a set on mine. You can check over on the LX Forums in the classifieds section.

CAIs.......as said, K&Ns and such are all for the name. Me? I bought 3" PVC from Lowes, cut off the ends and beveled them, plastic welded them all together, sanded down the welds, put body filler on the welds, sanded them down, them primer and paint.

All in all, around 125 in materials. But I have a material thicker and better insulated than something from KN and in the end, cheaper. I do run a S&B filter on the end (same type filter as KN).

I've built several of these setups for other guys over the years. Everyone loved them. Most people who do their own will not do all this work and just glue theirs together with the joints. That works too but IMHO it looks like crap.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:40 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

Do you have a Part Numb er for the half covers that I could buy new?

Old 12-31-2015, 07:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

K&N only claim 8hp gain on a 3rd gen Hemi Ram. I use a Airaid MIT pipe with the stock air box and a drop-in K&N filter myself.

Name:  IMG_0311.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  143.6 KB

Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Old 12-31-2015, 08:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Quick Reply: K&N CAI or should I get a different 1, Is there a Motor cover after CAI Install?