3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Hemi Swap Help/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:56 PM
02RamTruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Hemi Swap Help/Opinions

Hello everyone, welcome to my first post..

Anyways, i have a single cab shortbed 2002 Dodge ram with the 4.7l magnum in it and i've been wanting to do some sort of swap for a long time. Recently i had a friend with a 2007 5.7 hemi truck, that he can't drive anymore, offer to sell me the motor out of it for cheap ($400). Anyways, i've did some research but still can't seem to find all the information i need or want.

First off, what all will i need from his truck to successfully swap the motor?

Second, what do you think of this swap? (All i've heard was that this was a nightmare but i don't see how it can be that bad.)

And finally third, I'm wanting to mildly build his hemi before i install it, by this i mean a bigger cam, is there anything i should do/ or not do? Just give me your thoughts and feedback, it will really help, Thanks!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02RamTruck
Hello everyone, welcome to my first post..

Anyways, i have a single cab shortbed 2002 Dodge ram with the 4.7l magnum in it and i've been wanting to do some sort of swap for a long time. Recently i had a friend with a 2007 5.7 hemi truck, that he can't drive anymore, offer to sell me the motor out of it for cheap ($400). Anyways, i've did some research but still can't seem to find all the information i need or want.

First off, what all will i need from his truck to successfully swap the motor?

Second, what do you think of this swap? (All i've heard was that this was a nightmare but i don't see how it can be that bad.)

And finally third, I'm wanting to mildly build his hemi before i install it, by this i mean a bigger cam, is there anything i should do/ or not do? Just give me your thoughts and feedback, it will really help, Thanks!
Depends on whether you want oem style or staying with the cable TB. OEM style, you will need the computers and harnesses, plus electronic pedal. You can choose 03, 04 or 05, 05 being the best one for tuning. Supposedly you can use the 4.7 PCM and keep the cable TB, but I wouldn't. As for the engine, it's an MDS engine but MDS wasn't available in the earlier hemis. If you cam up you will need different springs and pushrods and it would be a good idea to replace the solenoids with the OEM block plugs and replace the lifters with non-MDS ones. All of this comprehensively will be a lot of work and cost to create something that may or may not work right, plus I hope you intend to keep it forever lol, as other than personal enjoyment you will not ever get what you put into it back, plus few people like to buy vehicles that have been modified in this way (much less being able to trade it in). You would actually be light years ahead trading it in for an 05+ (for tuning purposes).

Old 07-14-2016, 10:28 AM
02RamTruck
Default *****'s Jeep instead?

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Depends on whether you want oem style or staying with the cable TB. OEM style, you will need the computers and harnesses, plus electronic pedal. You can choose 03, 04 or 05, 05 being the best one for tuning. Supposedly you can use the 4.7 PCM and keep the cable TB, but I wouldn't. As for the engine, it's an MDS engine but MDS wasn't available in the earlier hemis. If you cam up you will need different springs and pushrods and it would be a good idea to replace the solenoids with the OEM block plugs and replace the lifters with non-MDS ones. All of this comprehensively will be a lot of work and cost to create something that may or may not work right, plus I hope you intend to keep it forever lol, as other than personal enjoyment you will not ever get what you put into it back, plus few people like to buy vehicles that have been modified in this way (much less being able to trade it in). You would actually be light years ahead trading it in for an 05+ (for tuning purposes).
Alright, thanks for the feedback. I might not do it then, but I still want to buy his motor and I also have a *****'s Jeep and I as wondering if anyone would think this was a good idea? If you have ever seen the lsx *****'s Jeep, This is where the idea has came from. First I planned to just put a 5.3 in it but if I can put the hemi in it for the same amount of difficulty, I would rather do that. So would doing this be harder or easier since it's really like a blank slate?

Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Depends, do you want to keep it electronic or you gonna go full carb and distributor?

Old 07-15-2016, 12:32 PM
02RamTruck

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Depends, do you want to keep it electronic or you gonna go full carb and distributor?
I could do carb and distributor. Didn't think about that

Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Won't be cheap, but carb manifolds exist for it (single 4bbl and duals) and there's a kit that uses an AMC style distributor with a modified timing cover that uses a big block mopar mechanical fuel pump. Then you just have to figure out room, mounts, transmission and whether the axles and transfer case are gonna live behind it lol.

Quick Reply: 2002 Hemi Swap Help/Opinions