3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonnax line pressure booster worth it? Pro's Con's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with Sonnax and they said it will not cause a problem, but he said you may not notice a difference using there part with a tuner.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:00 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was so curious about this again that I put the Sonnax back on yesterday afternoon and did some driving both aggressive and smooth. I could tell that the shifts were firmer and was happy about that. What I did not like was how it would intermittently having snappy and hard down-shifts mostly down to 2nd. All upshifts were good and aggressive. I have the SC 3950 with custom trans tune and I am at 8% torque management.
Today I did some running around this morning and the same thing. At first it seemed like a gift from GOD and then it started acting up. I pulled it off and read resistance of 391 ohms on the resistor wire(larger) and around .5 ohms on the other 2; which is what I heard is correct.
I have a feeling it has to do with the torque management in the SC program that is causing the conflicting pressures/signals. Only wish I had a pressure gauge in my lines to know what is really going on.
Personally, if it had been a steady-state thing where it slammed down into the gear every time I was slowing down then I may have left it in but I am perfectly happy with my trans tune with the SC, at least I know what to expect and has been great for about 4 years now.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:36 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had mine on for 3 years now. I only use the resister and I love it. Shifts are crisp and to the point. I would recommended this to anyone

Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talked to a friend of mine yesterday who I know has the two of these on a hemi with the 545rfe (05 Durango) and he has not had one single hard downshift or any episodes he did not like.
He loves the combination of the SC tuner and the sonnax resistor.

So I guess my truck not liking the 2 together is odd.
Maybe it is like how a guy sold me platinum +4's in 2006 and I ran them for several years without issue and others have had serious problems with that plug in the same engine?? I now run champion coppers!!

I have to agree with the group on that being a safe and awesome mod!!
I am sorry if I sounded negative-just wanted the 2 to work for my rig

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Sonnax line pressure booster worth it? Pro's Con's?