4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 RAM 1500 Rear End Recall Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
I wouldn't even purchase one without the correct rearend....period. It is a defective build and they should inform every interested buyer ahead of purchase and we know they are not about to do that, lol!
I bet ther isnt a salesman out there that EVEN knows about it, all they care about is the sale...!
Dealerships dont make any money being honest or knowing important information.
I will bet ANYBODY $100 dollar bill, that if you walk into ANY dealer, they wont even mention it...!
If they DO know, they wont tell you about it, because they want your money first.

Last edited by HEMI5150; 01-24-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
sky limit
Default Rrt

hey there, just called my service department at my local dealership to check on my vin # and they told me this has already been done to all the trucks sitting on dealership lots here in canada or atleast in our area. i purchased my truck aprox 1 week ago and he checked my vin and it was already done and my truck was brought in from another dealer 9 hrs away so seems like they are on top of it to me. i still would like a bit more info on the problem and there cure but he assures me they will inquire more about it and let me know.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
david052874

To me, if they are just filling up a defective part with more fluid and leaving the plug too low, that is horrible. And that is what it sounds like they are doing to me. Am I wrong??? So, down the road, if I have it serviced somewhere and they guy servicing doesnt fill in the extra fluid, then I am screwed. That is why I am saying I want the correct height on that plug if I spend $35k on a truck. That is what I am wondering....if the fix is that they are just adding fluid, but not replacing the part then Dodge may have just lost a new customer. That is what I was asking...and again, I am not that technical when it comes to cars.

thanks

dave

Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Attono
Veteran

Originally Posted by ridgerunner15
Minor issue? Having a rear end failure sometime in the future due to some oil change mechanic not knowing this is probably the only rear end in history you can't remove the plug and the proper lube level is the bottom of the hole is a big deal to me (how big depends on where I am and what I'm pulling)
Rear end failure??? How's that going to happen? That's a little melodramatic, isn't it? You're entitled to your opinion, but the fluid level is sitting where it needs to be after the RRT and diff fluid doesn't boil off or need to be changed that frequently. Frankly, it's not a big deal, IMHO. YMMV...

Last edited by Attono; 01-24-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM
sky limit

i was also told today from my dealer that they also expect that they will see a true recall in a few months to rectify this problem but again dont shoot the messenger. just repeating what i was told. personally i hope they do something but i still find it hard to believe that even at the level the fill plug is at now that it doesnt get sloshed around in there enough to protect all the parts. i have bought lots of old cars and trucks and when i changed the fluid in the rear end they werent all full to the plug and they were still going strong with lots of miles on them.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Attono
Rear end failure??? How's that going to happen? That's a little melodramatic, isn't it? You're entitled to your opinion, but the fluid level is sitting where it needs to be after the RRT and diff fluid doesn't boil off or need to be changed that frequently. Frankly, it's not a big deal, IMHO. YMMV...
My understanding is that the increased fluid level is a "band-aid" fix which promotes enhanced lubrication to the axle bearings. It was bearing failure that prompted the RRT.

Therefore, YES, rear end component failure is a possibility.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had one of the effected trucks, I'd spend $10 at the junkyard and get a cover with a fill plug. Yes dodge should fix the problem, but its an easy thing to solve all by yourself.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Attono
There are doctors, lawyers and other professionals who don't know how to turn a screwdriver much less know about rear ends, he may be one of them. Regardless...he has every right to be over concerned about his investment whether you are or not, you didn't pay for it...he did, lol!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 AM
huntergreen
Professional

Originally Posted by oldjeep
If I had one of the effected trucks, I'd spend $10 at the junkyard and get a cover with a fill plug. Yes dodge should fix the problem, but its an easy thing to solve all by yourself.
why would i put a junkyard piece on on a new truck, possibly voiding my warranty, absolving dodge of any future liability. i can hear them now " We would rally like to help you, but when you changed the cover, we feel it wasn' t done correctly and that led to this failure......" that being said, we do have 100000 miles or five years to prove this issue will have long term affects. we /dodge either caught this in time or we will be getting new rear ends, good time for gear changing if you need to. either way i'm not loosing any sleep over this.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
huntergreen
Professional

Originally Posted by david052874
To me, if they are just filling up a defective part with more fluid and leaving the plug too low, that is horrible. And that is what it sounds like they are doing to me. Am I wrong??? So, down the road, if I have it serviced somewhere and they guy servicing doesnt fill in the extra fluid, then I am screwed. That is why I am saying I want the correct height on that plug if I spend $35k on a truck. That is what I am wondering....if the fix is that they are just adding fluid, but not replacing the part then Dodge may have just lost a new customer. That is what I was asking...and again, I am not that technical when it comes to cars.

thanks

dave
DAVE, i posted above, hoped that helped. i have been driving doges since 2003, i'm on my 3rd, "first 2 were totaled or i would still be driving my 2003. I'm not counting my plymouth sport truck that i had in 81, or d 150 ibought used while in the navy, that i traded with close to two hundred thousand mile on the clock. "never once left me stranded on any of the 1000 mile = trips i made while in the navy.
we also have a jeepjk and 2004 grand cherokee, all chrysler products. here is what i learned, dodges are great trucks, most dodge dealers don't go out of their way to screw you, if my rear grenades, even if it was some how my fault, my dealer will most likley put it through under warranty. dodge as a company has always stood by their products far better than ford or gmc. dodge/chrsler has always been known for their rcalls,but very few if any are gov't mandated.notice toyota's last recall and how they kept it quite at first. the rust issue from the eighties seems to have returned as they have limited recall on their fj but they have this issue on a few of there other models as well, just walk around to their service bays and look at alll the frames they have install. you bought a very good product, from a reputable company. just drive and enjoy!

Last edited by huntergreen; 01-25-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 RAM 1500 Rear End Recall Info