4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 RAM 1500 Rear End Recall Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Attono
Here you go. They didn't call it a recall, they called it an RRT (rapid response transmittal).
Noticed your driveshaft is rusty. Mine is aluminum. Did that change too?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
Noticed your driveshaft is rusty. Mine is aluminum. Did that change too?
Are you serious or are you joking...the aluminum driveshafts run about 600 bucks. That would be a blessing to you if you have one!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 AM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
Are you serious or are you joking...the aluminum driveshafts run about 600 bucks. That would be a blessing to you if you have one!
My 05 Dak was aluminum and a few months ago one of the forum members complained about his Ram driveshaft being rusty so I crawled under my Ram to check and sure enuff it was luminum. Could it be due to 2WD?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
My 05 Dak was aluminum and a few months ago one of the forum members complained about his Ram driveshaft being rusty so I crawled under my Ram to check and sure enuff it was luminum. Could it be due to 2WD?
I have no idea but there's a "Mark Williams Enterprises" and they specialize in ultra light weight automotive drive line products...including carbon fiber. Google them and check out the cost of some of these puppies. I don't don't your word but it doesn't make sense that Chrysler would put something like that in a truck. I'd like to get a hold of one of those for myself or even a couple of them, lol!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:54 AM
ridgerunner15

Would the level work out if the cover was replaced with a 2010 cover that has the rubber plug? I am looking to buy but won't until a reasonable solution is available. I think a dealer would be willing to change the cover to make a sale. I have one dealer who is even willing to throw in repainting the funky gold flairs and trim gray for free to move inventory.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:28 PM
david052874

hey...im looking at getting a new Ram 1500. I am leaning to ordering one from the factory instead of buying one off the lot. Jjust wondering if these are faulty parts they have that they are putting on these trucks or is this hole drilled during the installation process. I am just wondering if I order one, if it will still have this defective part on it (until they run out of all these parts). Or do you think this wont be an issue?

And I am not that technical as far as parts or trucks...but I just dont want to buy one that is defective off a lot (even thought they will fix it) when I can just order one from the factory without the issue. Also, if I have to wait until they finish using all the defective parts they have in stock....i could just wait a month or so to order.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Attono
Veteran

This is really a pretty minor issue to be letting it sway your decision on purchasing a vehicle.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
ridgerunner15

Minor issue? Having a rear end failure sometime in the future due to some oil change mechanic not knowing this is probably the only rear end in history you can't remove the plug and the proper lube level is the bottom of the hole is a big deal to me (how big depends on where I am and what I'm pulling)

Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by ridgerunner15
Minor issue? Having a rear end failure sometime in the future due to some oil change mechanic not knowing this is probably the only rear end in history you can't remove the plug and the proper lube level is the bottom of the hole is a big deal to me (how big depends on where I am and what I'm pulling)
I wouldn't even purchase one without the correct rearend....period. It is a defective build and they should inform every interested buyer ahead of purchase and we know they are not about to do that, lol!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Once a recall is summend, even a RRT, vehicles are almost ALWAYS fixed in the factory long BEFORE they even leave the factories. Also, before the recalls/rrt`s ever hit the stealership, news or public, the problem was already resolved at the factory if they find it. By seeing their mistakes or having dealers report what they`re seeing/ finding, they fix it and send info to the dealer what they need to do with the remaining inventory and customers. So if you are "ordering a NEW truck" worries you, trust me, the problem has already been takin care of at the factory if you order a brand new one from the factory. The factory would loose alot more money if they kept turning out the bad rearends and then paying the dealer to fix them. (kinda senseless for the factory to pay twice) Think of it this way... if you owned a business, wouldnt you want to fix your product in advance if you KNEW it had a problem and so you dont have the customer coming after you as well as having to work on it twice instead of once...? That would cost you alotta money and could send out a bad reputation signal to others not to buy your product if you kept sending out known problems with your product.

Anyone that has the effected 2011 (only 1500 series) truck with the wrong height lube fill plug hole in the case, i would be getting the 2010 rear cover that has the rubber plug and get it on your truck ASAP...! (even if it meens you have to buy it) Why wait until they call you in for the re-lube fill, you are already doing damage to the rearend as we speak due to low level of gear lube.

If anyone is going to buy a 2011 truck from a dealer, pull the vin and have it checked for the repair/update.
Tell them you want a copy of that report with the truck if you buy it off their lot.

Quick Reply: 2011 RAM 1500 Rear End Recall Info