4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Horn..wipers..turn signals..high beams..NOTHING!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Nate makes good points. My experience with these type of electronics is that the weak point is where the connector is soldered to the circuit Printed Wiring Assembly (PWA). The mating connector and the weight of the harness put a lot of mechanical stress on the PWA and often cause cracked solder joints. Often one can make symptoms come and go by just simply grabbing the harness close to the PWA and wiggling it around. That is why I always recommend disconnecting the battery first, and then disconnect the harness from the module and inspect the pins (make sure no crushed or damaged pins from the original assembly), reconnect the harness and battery and see if it fixed the problem. Often this will fix the problem but for good measure, withe the engine running, grab the harness and move it around, if you can induce failures it can be cracked solder joints or weak crimps on the wires. The big issue with these problems is that they are often intermittent and sometimes just touching things makes the problem go away only to return some time later.
Pedro, i agree with you and nate both! But if you've ever driven in nj these pot holes are bigger than some cars and I'd think that I'd have intermittent issues driving arpund since I'd think it'd wiggle around and cause intermittent operation which i did not notice.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mikey, maybe not intermittent on your case but I'm starting to get your problem and the other post here mixed up sometimes. gr8rows seems to have some kind of intermittent issue with his. The resolution to both of these problems and the community posts will help someone down the road. Good luck on your truck getting ready on time for your roadtrip.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
Hey guys... Just got a call from the dealer, its going to be covered on warranty. They said a Multi-Function Switch (MFS) went out.. That's what controls the wipers, trac. control, invertor, high beams... Etc etc... Said it will be fixed by tomorrow. So I'll be picking it up sunday due to work. I'll keep y'all posted on if that fixes the issue.
I first thought of the Multifunction switch, but you said your horn didn't work as well as no brake lights and inverter so I canceled it out as a possibility because that does not control those parts. It must have been shorting other circuits out on the canbus line used to control those parts??

Old 02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your 100% right on that Chris, install any aftermarket part that is not OEM approved and the risk is all yours not the manufactures,like the saying says " you can pay me now or pay me latter " if you want piece of mind only put factory approved upgrades in your ride, I think it 's an expensive lesson we have all learned thinking we saved some bucks but in reality it cost us twice as much to correct the problems we caused.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the 09 Service Manual

The Totally Integrated Power Module (1) (TIPM) is a combination unit that performs the functions of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and the Front Control Module. The TIPM is a printed circuit board based module that contains fuses, internal relays and a microprocessor that performs the functions previously executed by the FCM.
So I wasn't too far off when I said it was likely the equivalent. Kinda figured that TIPM thing was similar to the FCM since a google search was coming up with nothing as far as an FCM and the 4th Gen Rams.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by No More GM's For Me.
Your 100% right on that Chris, install any aftermarket part that is not OEM approved and the risk is all yours not the manufactures,like the saying says " you can pay me now or pay me latter " if you want piece of mind only put factory approved upgrades in your ride, I think it 's an expensive lesson we have all learned thinking we saved some bucks but in reality it cost us twice as much to correct the problems we caused.
I agree that aftermarket we take the risk... but as anyone who has driven a 4th gen know's how bad the lighting is on these trucks from the factory. Honestly to me it's damn near dangerous. In the backroads I could barely see deer on the side of the road until last minute, my ranger had better stock low beams.. So I added HID's to my truck...I took a risk, but it doesn't seem to have caused the issue to the MFS...

Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Mikey, maybe not intermittent on your case but I'm starting to get your problem and the other post here mixed up sometimes. gr8rows seems to have some kind of intermittent issue with his. The resolution to both of these problems and the community posts will help someone down the road. Good luck on your truck getting ready on time for your roadtrip.
haha, after I posted I started to think you got mine and gr8rows mixed up haha. I'll keep you posted when I pick the truck up on sunday if that fixed the issue and what the paper work says from the dealer! Thanks for all the help!

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I first thought of the Multifunction switch, but you said your horn didn't work as well as no brake lights and inverter so I canceled it out as a possibility because that does not control those parts. It must have been shorting other circuits out on the canbus line used to control those parts??
I actually rechecked the brake lights when I parked it at the dealer since there was a car behind me and saw them light up! In the early AM it initially looked like they weren't coming on when I was backing out to head to work. So that was my fault for saying that lol.

But still the horn/evic didn't work.... But maybe and hopefully the MFS possibly caused the horn/evic to stop working by something...? Hell electronics are weird to me...it's pure f!@%%^@ magic (PFM).

Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too was thrown off by the EVIC, Horn, Inverter and EVIC not working. Anyway, glad to hear Mikey will be getting his truck back soon.
from the manual;
DESCRIPTION

The multi-function switch is located on the left side of the steering column, just below the steering wheel. This switch provides the primary controls for the wiper and washer systems, the turn signals and headlamp beam selection. The only visible components of the switch are the control stalk (2) and control **** (1) that extend through the steering column shrouds on the left side of the column. The remainder of the switch including its mounting provisions, its electrical connection, and the turn signal cancel actuator are concealed beneath the shrouds.

The switch housing (2) and controls (1) are constructed of molded black plastic. Each of the switch controls has white International Control and Display Symbol graphics applied to it, which clearly identify its many functions. A single integral latch feature (3) and slide tabs on the switch housing engage channels and a striker that are integral to the left side of the mounting bracket that is integral to the clockspring (5) to secure the switch to the steering column.
The Steering Control Module (SCM) is an electronic circuit board and microprocessor internal to the multi-function switch housing. The switch outputs are internally connected directly to the SCM. An integral connector receptacle on the back of the switch housing connects the SCM to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated take out and connector of the instrument panel wire harness.
The multi-function switch provides the vehicle operator with a control interface for the following functions:
  • Headlamp Beam Selection - The multi-function switch control stalk provides detent switching for selection of the headlamp HIGH or LOW beams.
  • Headlamp Optical Horn - The multi-function switch control stalk includes momentary switching of the headlamp high beam circuits to provide an optical horn feature (sometimes referred to as flash-to-pass), which allows the vehicle operator to momentarily flash the headlamp high beams as an optical signalling device.
  • Turn Signal Control - The multi-function switch control stalk provides both momentary non-detent (lane change) switching or detent switching with automatic cancellation for both the left and right turn signals.
  • Washer Control - The multi-function switch control **** provides a momentary WASH position for washer system operation.
  • Wiper Control - The multi-function switch control **** provides detent switching for two continuous wipe switch positions, LOW speed or HIGH speed and an intermittent wipe mode with five delay interval positions. The control **** also has a momentary MIST or pulse wipe feature switch position.
The multi-function switch cannot be adjusted or repaired. If any function of the switch is ineffective, or if the switch is damaged, the entire switch unit must be replaced. The clockspring (with the multi-function switch mounting bracket, Steering Angle Sensor/SAS and the heated steering wheel contact, if equipped), the multi-function switch (with the internal SCM) and the optional adjustable pedal switch (7) are each available for separate service replacement.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Okay guys....got a call from the dealer this morning! They said everything works and it's good to go!!! I will be picking it up tomorrow morning...Everything was covered under warranty as well as the rental from enterprise. They said that the EVIC, turn signals, esp, tow haul, high beams all work now!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

picked her up today and everything is back in working order, so far!