4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 RAM 1500 differential fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Merccooper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RAM 1500 differential fluid

Hi All,
The differential on my 2011 RAM 1500 5.7L, 4x4 (build date is 2-11) has started to leak. I don’t have the $$ to have it repaired right now so want to add fluid as needed to get by (I know I should fix the leak, but just can not at this point).

Ive read a number of posts about the fill hole (rubber vs threaded) but I couldn’t come to a clear understanding. My differential has a threaded fill hole and a threaded drain hole. From what I have read, I need to fill it to 5/8” below the threaded fill hole. Is that correct?

thanks for the help

Old 10-14-2019, 11:01 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

not sure which axle you have...their are 4 options. service info I have says to fill to bottom of fill hole.

most that are filled below the fill hole have a fill line and instructions etched into the diff cover.

if you are leaking from the diff cover you can leave it....if you are leaking from the axle seals...its a safety issue and needs to be repaired before the rear brake linings get contaminated.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Merccooper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks primem.
It is leaking from the drive shaft seal (is that the same as what you are referring to the axle seal?)
mine doesn’t have a fill hole on the diff cover, only on the casing.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:04 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

That would be the pinion seal that's leaking. I appreciate you wanting to keep the fluid topped off until you have the means to fix it properly, but from the images above, you've probably only lost less than a teaspoon worth of gear oil. I don't see any droplet forming. From what I can seem in the image, if it were my vehicle, I'd check the axle seals (remove the brake drums/rotors) and if they are not also leaking, I'd keep an eye on the pinion seal area for signs of significantly more leaking, and until then, put the cost of the bottle of gear oil towards the pinion seal repair funds.

-Rod

Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Rod. Just another tidbit...ensure your axle vent is free and clear.

Quick Reply: 2011 RAM 1500 differential fluid