4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:49 PM
NMRam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3 connectors. Help! How do I tell if 2 are for the brake controller? I have a 2013.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 AM
NMRam
Rookie

Maybe the two bigger connectors are for the brake controller?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NMRam
Maybe the two bigger connectors are for the brake controller?
An easy way is to go to an auto parts store that sells Brake Controller adapter wire harnesses. One end of the harness connects to the big connector on your truck, the other to the brake controller. Look up the one for your year truck and either buy it or take a picture of the end that mates to your truck.

Here is a picture of the harness

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...ha/3020-P.html

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 08-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 PM
JrFuel

Pedro Dog, thanks for the info. I've been scratching my head about this for a long time! Another (dumb) question... how do I identify the pins (A1, A2, etc) on each connector? Are they labeled? Or does it start at the upper left, while looking into the connector? For example, A1 is the upper left, A2 is the upper right...

Thank you again for your help.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JrFuel
Pedro Dog, thanks for the info. I've been scratching my head about this for a long time! Another (dumb) question... how do I identify the pins (A1, A2, etc) on each connector? Are they labeled? Or does it start at the upper left, while looking into the connector? For example, A1 is the upper left, A2 is the upper right...

Thank you again for your help.
go to this website.

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

Once there, select year 2012, ram 1500 , etc, etc, for your model. Once you get the page loaded, scroll down to section 54, TRAILER TOW and click on the + sign. Once that opens, click on the ITEGRATED BRAKE CONTROL MODULE section, scroll half way down the page and you will see the wiring diagram with the 2 connectors and the controller. Click on the box for each connector, a menu will open up with 4 choices, 1) show component view, 2) show diagram of component, 3) show alternate diagrams and 4) show component location.

That's all the information you should ever need.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 08-23-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 PM
JrFuel

Pedro Dog, I ran a jumper from A3 to B3 like you said. The display read "Cf", or something like that. And it had a trailer symbol lit up, and an (!) flashing. I wasn't able to adjust the controller. And the trailer brakes did not work. Also, the display was on all the time. Without the key on and without out the trailer connected. Any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

No you did everything right. The signal for the B3 connector has to be switched on with the key. Jumpering from A3 it is the issue, my mistake in telling you to jumper it to b3. Run a key switched 12 vdc to be to fix it.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM
iskybantilus
Professional

so could we make this controller work in a 2009 and just not have the evic display info as you are implying will hapen if you wire this way into a 2012 without the second connector? i do like the cleaner look of the factory controller.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM
JrFuel

Pedro Dog, I did what you told me. I ran a switched wire to B3. The display works now, however... it reads CF and it has a symbol of a trailer and (!) flashing. Plus, the trailer brakes do NOT work. Is there something else that needs to be done in order to make this controller work?? Help... please.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JrFuel
Pedro Dog, I did what you told me. I ran a switched wire to B3. The display works now, however... it reads CF and it has a symbol of a trailer and (!) flashing. Plus, the trailer brakes do NOT work. Is there something else that needs to be done in order to make this controller work?? Help... please.
What year is your truck? If it's 2010 or newer and you only have the one big connector, I'm afraid you will also need to tap into the CAN Bus+ and the CAN Bus-. Others have done it by finding the wires under the dash. You're probably better off just getting an aftermarket one and fitting it in the cubby hole.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...10-models.html

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Controller