4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 Ram sounds like a rattle can in drive when off throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM
popsnbeer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2013 Ram sounds like a rattle can in drive when off throttle

Hi - Ever since I bought my 2013 Ram new I have always heard what sounds like an empty spray paint can (or aluminum can of some type) under my truck. It happens while in motion, foot off the pedal. I can hear it best if I'm driving next to a freeway median, building, or something that can bounce the sound back to me.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Also, when under hard acceleration (gas pedal floored) I can hear a "fast metal vibration" just before the transmission up shifts.

Under very light to moderator acceleration, think just enough to take it out of eco mode, the truck just feels gutless and either needs to downshift or kind of sits at its same speed (increasing ever so slowly). This is on flat roads, highways, and an empty truck.

Lastly, when at speeds above 40 I can feel an unhealthy vibration in the truck. This lasts through 80mph and remains consistent even in eco mode, out of eco mode, tow haul on, downshifted to 5th, and more.

This is starting to bother me quite a bit on a new truck with now only 9,000 miles. Any insight is appreciated. I brought it to the dealer where they said they couldn't hear the metal rattle and they rotated and balanced the tires on a road force but that did not resolve the issues at all. My next oil change is coming due so I will bring it to the dealer again. Would be great if I could point them to a service bulletin or something with information on my issues.

Truck details:
2013 1500
4x4
CC
Hemi
3.55 gears
6 speed auto

Thanks,
Matt

Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of remember that sometime ago, others complained of a noise that came from under the hood. Turned out that the trans fluid lines coming out of cooler in front of the radiator were vibrating and touching. There was some kind of TSB for it. No idea about lack of power though.

Maybe not the same thing

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...gured-out.html

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 04-16-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot speak for all the noises and feelings you have, but i'm pretty sure part of what you are feeling power wise is the MDS kicking in and out.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM
LVRR
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your power problems you can try this. This is from the 3rd gen section but should work.

1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

Give it a spin to see if it helped.

I have also seen mentioned in some posts to hold it all the way down for 10 to 15 seconds before releasing. So if the first steps don't work try adding the hold down. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ram sounds like a rattle can in drive when off throttle