4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 5.7L high revving issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 PM
tisher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 5.7L high revving issues

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forums and have a question. I live in Manitoba Canada where the temperature gets damn cold. when I start my truck, I normally let it run for approx. 5-10 min. before driving. when I start driving the truck revs to about 3000rpm each time before changing gears. most of the time the truck will take about 10 kilometers before it kicks into overdrive. sometimes it doesn't kick into overdrive at all but continues to rev in the 3000rpm range while driving at approx. 100 kms/hour. Because it gets so cold, is there a sensor that stays cold and doesn't trigger the transmission to change gears? what else could it be?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 AM
tisher

anyone???

Old 03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tisher
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forums and have a question. I live in Manitoba Canada where the temperature gets damn cold. when I start my truck, I normally let it run for approx. 5-10 min. before driving. when I start driving the truck revs to about 3000rpm each time before changing gears. most of the time the truck will take about 10 kilometers before it kicks into overdrive. sometimes it doesn't kick into overdrive at all but continues to rev in the 3000rpm range while driving at approx. 100 kms/hour. Because it gets so cold, is there a sensor that stays cold and doesn't trigger the transmission to change gears? what else could it be?
tisher,

Welcome to the forum!

How long have you been noticing this symptom? Has it occurred each winter since you've owned it, or has this only started more recently.

Have you had a chance to speak with your servicing Ram dealer yet?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 AM
tisher

i have not brought it to the dealer at this point, as the same scenario happened to my 2005 dodge Dakota I had previously. The Dodge Ram I drive now has done this from the time I purchased it, but only in the winter when it gets quite cold outside.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have not brought it to the dealer at this point, as the same scenario happened to my 2005 dodge Dakota I had previously. The Dodge Ram I drive now has done this from the time I purchased it, but only in the winter when it gets quite cold outside.
tisher,

With winter coming to an end, I would recommend notifying your servicing Ram dealer. If you are able to demonstrate the issue while the temperature remains low it will benefit the diagnosis process.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:58 PM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys,
I'll suggest it's normal. My 09 does this at about -25C and below. There's a little blurb in the owner's manual about the tranny not shifting into OD when it's cold but it's much more than that. The tranny holds the upshifts and shortens the downshifts - it's effectively using Tow Haul mode to heat up the fluid to operating temp. Can be a PITA though because the tranny never gets to "normal operating temp" unless I'm towing.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 1500 5.7L high revving issues