4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Total Electrical System Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:41 PM
ThadTurner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Electrical System Failure

I was driving my 2013 Ram 1500 SLT home last night and all of a sudden all electrical power went out. Nothing worked. I coasted to stop and tried to restart engine. Nothing at all. The headlights work only on manual, and the interior dome light worked. Nothing at all on any other electrical component when the key is engaged. No lights in when doors open or anything. I tested the battery and it read 12.7. Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be happening?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Broke this out, and moved it to the correct section for you.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ThadTurner,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you’re experiencing this concern. If you would like to PM me your VIN, I can look into this further for you.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThadTurner
Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be happening?
Not certain in your instance but encountered a similarly weird situation a couple of yrs back. The boss and I had come out of the grocery store, loaded the grub, buckled up, turned the fobik and... nothing. No dash lights, no click, no fuel pump, no door locks, no interior lights... nothing! Played with fobik for a few minutes to no effect and just as I'm contemplating calling someone, I recalled some interesting discussions I'd run across about a year prior and related to some of the more recent auto electrical systems and specifically about some issues with seat belt and door open/close sequencing. What the heck - worth a try. I had the boss unbuckle her seat belt, then I unbuckled mine. Next I had her open the door, then I opened mine. Next we reversed that procedure and... well I'll be damned! Gremlins? Dunno but there is some anecdotal stuff out there that suggests that seat belt/door close sequencing can give the system a gun jam.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Total Electrical System Failure