Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:50 AM
22dodge
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexfbi77
Yes im from Ukraine originaly sorry for bad spelling, but i try my best to explain.
The first and main problem with the shipping cost to Alaska, and i can order big parts only through some company's only, like junk yard's and napa auto parts. Ok here is the deal. On my old trany, clutch disks wornout, or start sliping, so i decide to replace with other one, and i did. After i drove about 120 miles Check engine lights came on, so i did check with OBD-II coad reader, and they show me code. P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request) so i did call transmission mechanic, he told me to change Transmission speed sensor, so after i change that sensor i drove another 1 mile and the problem come back. It's in LIMP mode trany won't switch to second gear, just drive on first. So if you know if ATF do that or what? or torque converter? Im shure it's not shift solenoids, cuz after i change to new sensor they drove 1 mile okay, and on the way home, check engine light come back on, and stop switching the gears. If you know what is it means (MIL Request). Thank You. Oh and by the way im talking about 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, with 90.000 Miles on, but trany i bought with 57.000 Miles on them. $800.00 Bucks for trany, and $400.00 Shipping to Alaska. Thank You forward help.

Your code reader is totally useless, you need to use proper diagnostic tools. A quality scanner is a MUST have for this so you can read the data. Also get a factory transmission service manual so you can diagnose the problem with pinpoint accuracy. There are toooooooooooo many variables to just throw guesses at it. It sure sounds like you're having an electrical problem (which may have been there on the old trans)

Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 PM
happyreefer

Originally Posted by 22dodge
there's soo much mis-information and speculating.

First, without having a REAL scanner that shows data, you can just spend all day throwing parts at these transmissions is the worst thing to do. I bought a 1999 grand caravan from a local chevy dealer because 'the trans was shot' van in perfect shape but no shift. Their mechanics said the trans was junk and the dealer didn't want to spend the $ for a new trans. I gave them $450 and drove it to my shop in 2nd gear. it took 20 seconds for me to diagnose the problem, 5 minutes to install a used part and I sold it 2 days later for $1500.
Can I ask what your 20 second diagnosis and 5 minute install was?

Old 09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
22dodge
Banned

output speed sensor. no speedo no shift. I put the scanner on it just for giggles but I've been working on these transmissions for 20 years

Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
per4manz
Amateur

Originally Posted by nwolfe77
but I am having a hard time believing that a transmission would go from running perfect to completely slipping, overnight, with no warning and the fluid levels and driving habits are good.
Better believe it can. Just happened to me at 125k. No signs of any trouble and out of the blue, tranny took a dump at 70 MPH. Would not shift into 2nd from 1st (thus, not limp mode) and would not shift into reverse. Had the tranny completely replaced from a reputable shop for 1750.00 which included all updated hardware and software, plus a 3yr 75k warranty.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
alexfbi77

Whell $1750.00 bucks for repair, it's not normal. I did fix trany on my own. It's not that hard to do, if you have shop and big table, and lots of patience, it's almost the same as motorsycle clutch. There is two sets of clutch discks. 1st pair you can pull by hand, and it's bolted together, they won't fall a-part. And the second set of clutch discks, you have to pull one by one, they covered with clutch cilinder, with square looking shape teeth, this is where you need nerves, cuz if you just pull clutch drumb fast, youll going to need more time to put them back in proper order, and they are very delicate, and easy to brake. And trany repair kit cost MAXIMUM $600 Hundred dollars, yes $600 Bucks, and one day of work with patience, and your good to go. But before you put new clutch discks, wash trany inside, with brake cleaner, and clean all sensors, with sensor cleaner. and flush trany completely, then put, new clutch discks, ant put trany back together. Only one thing you DON'T TAKE A PART SOLENOID PACK, it's that thing where you plug your big plug on trany with bolt in center. DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THAT, They require re-calibration. They can be replaced not repaired, and only in the shop. And remember Sensors not all the time fails, most of the time is dirti plugs.(EXSEMPLE). on my trany, after i change whole transmission, i drove about 120 miles, and CEL came on, i did check with OBD-I & II Reader, and they show me error code P0700, just one code. So i try to reset 3 or 4 times, but was useless. so then i check both TSS and replace, but minute later after i drove 1/4 of mile, CEL came back on. So then i realize i was cleaningall plugs with sensor cleaner, but not plug cleaner. Next i did, unhook all plugs on trany, clean them with plug cleaner, and blow them with 120-150 PSI compressed air, make shure all moisture gets out. Then i reset one more time error code, and no more error codes, they all are gone for good.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
SCM2009

Hey,

i have a question regarding a 1998 caravan (sorry for hacking ur thread), but where's the TCM located at? 3.3 v6 engine atx. i have the (p0700) code so we are trying to figure out where is it. Also gave me the P1775, the problem was that the tranny was stuck in 3rd not shifting OD.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 AM
chopper
Veteran

Here's a link that might help.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 PM
rswannabe

My tranny went out at 99,735 and right before it did it was throwing out all them codes. Supposedly the planetary gears went out.I'm getting tired of the dodge van. Need Toyota.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Adycaravan'97

Hi, i have one dodge caravan 1997, 3.0 l. It's run good, no problem, and the engine stop imediatly. I have to put in neutral and after 3-4 time, it's start again and no problem. It's happend from higway to 100 km/h too.Thanks.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Can i get to start a new post on your stalling problem. This is a old post and some of the member may not look at,because its about transmissions.To start a new post,just click on new thread and start writing.Also more information the better. Thank you very much.Leonard

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (Tranny Problems P0755, P0700, P0731, P0733).