Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Noisy A/c compressor??? Sluggish van...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:06 PM
hsmomof3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy A/c compressor??? Sluggish van...

1997 Grand caravan....I am assuming the noise I hear is my a/c compressor cycling...it seemsVERY NOISY and cycles A LOT, almost constantly at times....when it does it seems my van is very sluggish...My air is cold...no problem there.

Does it sound like maybe Freon is low even though the air blows cold or is my compressor going out? It was noisy like that ALL last summer and maybe some the summer before....

Debbie

Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM
dredwin
Default RE: Noisy A/c compressor??? Sluggish van...

Is the noise from the AC compressor? Does the noise go away when the AC is off? Does it get louder when you accelerate?

When was the last time your belt was changed? I know the AC being on could make a belt squeal if the belt is old and needing to be changed. I'm not an expert on ACs so I can't difinitively say the freon isn't low...but my impression is if the freon needs to be recharged, you can tell by the temperature of the air (AC won't work).

It could be the compressor if that is what is making the noise...it could also be the water pump bearings...or just needing a new belt.

One way to figure out where the noise is coming from (cheapo version of a mechanics stethescope) is to get an old garden hose and cut a piece of it off...stick one end to your ear the other end probe (carefully or it'll get sucked into the spinning serpentinebelt) towards different areas. Usually sticking your head near the idling engine you can figure out generally where the noise is coming from. But some things are near each other (like AC and alternator) which will make it more difficult to isolate the sound (although there are other ways to figure out if you alternator is going out). But be careful...sticking you head (or garden hose) near a spinning belt can be dangerous (esp. if you are clumsy).

Old 06-12-2007, 06:24 PM
hsmomof3

the only time we hear the noise is when the AC is on or the defrost....

Debbie

Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

locking up compressor or faulty clutch

Old 07-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Caravan2ooo

I replaced the belt on my 2000 Dodge Caravan and my problem was cleared.

Quick Reply: Noisy A/c compressor??? Sluggish van...