Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

coil springs side specific?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:48 PM
fixit10101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil springs side specific?

Have 1984 Caravan; Looking to replace my front coil springs and need some help; specifically: Are the '84 Caravan front coils side-specific? My FSM states: "Springs are rated separately for each side of the vehicle depending on optional equipment and type of service".
I had a broken coil in 1998 and replaced it with a boneyard complete strut/spring. Can't remember which side, pretty sure it was drivers side, but my passenger side front sits a little lower than the drivers side.
Just had an alignment done after replacing all A-frame bushings, ball/joints and the mech mentioned it when I had him ride with me for a rumble sound in the steering, which he said was a bearing going out on the right. Bought the bearings and seals, gotta get at it on Monday.
Anyway with the springs, I asked at NAPA, Advance Auto, Carquest, and Federated Auto, and nobody can tell me if indeed the springs are left and right side specific; there's nothing in the spring application books either. I know there's two different spring set available, one for the five passenger and one for the seven passenger with air and automatic. The only difference is 5-pass. vs 7-pass.= free height 18.22"/19.02"; # of coils 7.33/7.75; bar(wire) dia. .61"/.624"; both have an inside dia of 6" and load height of 12".
I have air and auto but have a five seater , (not sure there was anything but). I'm thinking maybe I put a seven passenger spring in.
I'm going to get the springs from RockAuto since they're the lowest price and Spicers. Probably the seven passenger ones since in essence they'd be like overload springs. Can anyone tell me if the springs are labeled left and right when bought new?
Thanks in advance/ Jim

Quick Reply: coil springs side specific?