Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2.4 L, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Xcube
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 L, need help

We are going on 8 years with our SE with the 2.4L with 99k and I am fed up with the performance of the motor. My wife loves her van and would like to keep it, but I am gainst it.Never had major problems with it, it runs likea bat out of hell on the highway, just awsome.I don't know if anyone can point me in the right directions. It has a hesitation problem when you press the accelerator on take off, and it seems to burn oil. I don't see it on the ground nor do I see any white smoke. I know inbetween the 3k mile oil changes, I have to add a quart of oil. It shouldn't be. In most cars the oil is all there just gets black. Dealer says it is normal and being that my wife drives it, I don't feel comfortable with that idea. I don't know what to do bout it, I am trying to do everything possible before trading. We have enjoyed living payment free for the last 5 years on both cars and I would like to enjoy a few more years out of it. What can I do? Eng swap? Do they all (2.4L) burn oil that way?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: 2.4 L, need help

its a 2.4 ... a 4 cylinder.. what more can you ask for.. this IS a van .. not a neon.. it takes more beating than a 6 cylinder would.. haulin the kids... the 'bat outta hell' on the highway thing.. thats a beating to a 4 cylinder... IMO its too small of an engine for a van... one guy told me he was going to haul trailers with his 4 cyl s-10.. i told him he was nuts.. he blew the motor a week later... one thing you can try.. with the burning of the oil.. is do an oil change... use some 'lucas' in place of a quart of oil... keep doing that.. and it could gradually get better... it is a normal thing.. just for the fact it is a van .. and it is a small engine.. it has to work twice as hard as say... your neighbors van does... i have a 3.0 in my van.. and its the same way.. mine was well abused before i got it.. so that has alot of play in that part.. and my valves are makin some noise.. but i would say.. yea.. its about normal givin the engine.. the miles... and what its in

Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

No.All 2.4 engine don't always burn oil, unless there is a problem the seals on the valves or oil leaking passing the oil rings. Dodge does have a reman long block, that comes with cylinder head and a 3 year or 36k warranty. This is just information.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
next2pool
Professional

Actually 1 gt of oil in 3000 miles is not all that bad--certainly not enough to require a rebuild or replacement! What kind and weight of oil are you using--that can make quite a difference. I doubt the hesitation is related to the oil consumption unless your PCV valve is stuck--have you replaced it recently? Your hesitaion could be due to carbon buildup in and around the intake system. Are you getting any engine codes?