Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

a/c mist in passenger compartment

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
stix309
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c mist in passenger compartment

I have a 1996 Grand Caravan 3.8 litre, I have just begun to notice than when the a/c is running every now and then the air coming from the vents becomes visible almost like a white fog. The a/c is cold and functioning normally as far as I can tell. There is no pattern to this and sometimes will go days or even weeks between happenings. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:58 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: a/c mist in passenger compartment

It sounds like moisture is building up in the evaporator area.Try cleaning out the drain hole so that any condensed water has a way to get out of the system.If this is the problem it will get worse and lead to a moldy smell in the passenger compartment.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

your evap is freezing up either the evap fin temp sensor is bad or the h block is bad.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM
next2pool
Professional

This can also be a normal condition depending on the humidity level of the incoming air and the evaporator temperature. It's quite common on GM cars.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

not on chrysler they arnt if u have it on REC then no outside air is comming in and u use the air already cooled. If that was normal then the evap would freeze up and no air would come out at all.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 PM
next2pool
Professional

All of these systems operateon the same refrigerant cycle. I saw no reference to running on recirc. On recirc, the humidity will go down substantially over time. An airconditioner will not cool until a certain amount of humidity is removed. The evaporator can't be freezing up or there would be no airflow. Most systems are designed to run right at the edge of evap freeze up in order to get the max capacity out of the system. Home, auto,and aircraft systems will ocasionally cause afrozen mist in the outcoming air if all of the conditions are met. I'm not saying it is preferred because it is a huge customer complaint item. It is true that there may be condensate collecting in the bottom of the a/c case so that deserves a look see. Other than that, there's no need to spend money on something that isn't broken.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM
bmal59

I have same problem on 05 gc. My mechanic checked out-said it's normal.Very strange since it has not happened before. Bought it new.

Quick Reply: a/c mist in passenger compartment