Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

95 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:13 AM
theta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 transmission

Hello! I just had my 95 caravan transmission rebuilt and had a new engine and transmission mount installed. when I first picked it up it seemed to missing the "drive" gear and none of the gears matched on teh shifter. I took it right back to Mr. Transmission and they did some magic on it and sent me on my way. As I got down the road I noticed that the engine seemed to be straining and it was shaking badly. I took it right back and had the mechanic road test it with me. The mechanic advised that it was normal for the van to shake so violently when it has new mounts in it and that there might be something wrong with the engine too and that it needed a tune up. I just had the distributorcap, wires and spark plugs replaced about 2 montsh ago. He also said that it was normal for the transmission to slip until it "adjusted" to being rebuilt. It was still slipping last night when I drove home and still shakes worse than when I had the new mounts installed. What speeds should I expct it to shift on? It appears to be shifting at different speeds. Is this normal?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 PM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default RE: 95 transmission

first off that tranny should NOT be slipping.. and the engine should NOT be shaking.. sounds to me like your being taken for a ride.. need to tell them to fix it or refund your money and you can take it to someone more reputable

Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Its not normal for any shaking, You didn't state if you have a 3 speed or a 4 speed trans. But you did say you replace cap and rotor, so you may have 3.0L engine. If you have a 3speed trans the governor maybe sticking to the point of not down or up shifting.Causing the trans to slip.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM
theta

Thanks! Uhm, it's a 3.0L but that's about all I know. I'm totally clueless with vehicles. I called them back to tell them the symptomsand themechanicsaid something about the transmission flush leaving some random particles in the system that could cause it to be slipping.
thanks again!

Quick Reply: 95 transmission