Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 dodge caravan wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 AM
BullMikus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge caravan wipers not working

Please help me! two days ago, it snowed and froze the wiper blades to the windshield. I tried toturn them on and break them free, but they wouldn't move! Two days later, after the snow melted, I tried them again, and they just moved 2 or 3 inches, then stuck against each other! I tried to get them unstuck by recycling the switch, and instead they both flopped violently (as if anything on a caravan can be described as violent) outward, looking like two big black curb feelers. when I got to work i put them back where they belonged and haven't moved them since. Are the motors stripped? if so, How do i go about repairing this? I know, bust them loose manually next time - but I'm handicapped and my chair won't let me reach the wipers easily. help!

Bull

Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
dan8052
Default RE: 98 dodge caravan wipers not working

Did you get this problem fixed? What was it? My wife just told me her van is having the same symptoms.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 01-18-2008, 10:32 PM
vlmuke
Professional

It could be the motor is out of time the little arm that makes the arms move could be stripped or popped off it could also be the arms are stripped in the posts I would look at the post first then dig into the motor ***'y my best suggestion to prevent this would be to pull the arms up off the windshield before it snows or when you stop the vehicle long enough for the windshield to freeze that what I and many of the people where I live do

Old 01-18-2008, 11:07 PM
dan8052

When I pull both arms up off the windshield and turn the wipers on, they move back and forth like they should. It's only when their down on the glass is when it gives me the problem. Theyseem like their timing is wacked out. Thanks for the info and any additionalhelp other readers may have.

Dan

Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 AM
vlmuke
Professional

I looked in my sevice manual you might want to try removing the arms then reparking the motor and putting the arms back on and see if that helps it would be to run the motor without the arms on it and turn motor off then put the arms back in place

Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
kimg

I had the same problem with the same model van. I took the motor out and found it was rusty inside. I guess the sealing was not good. You may need a new motor.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:19 PM
dan8052

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Turns out that both wiper arm just needed to be tightened down and they work fine now. The wiper posts have teeth on them and the wiper arms do not. When you tightened down on the 15mm nut it sqeezes the arm to the post for a tight fit. Mine lost their gripafter trying to move a lot of snow off the windshield. That god thats all it was. Hopefully this will help someone save some time and money down the road.

Thanks again,
Dan

Quick Reply: 98 dodge caravan wipers not working