Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P-456 Error?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
toller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-456 Error?

I posted here that my check engine light came on and I was advised to find the code by turning the ignition on and off.
I posted that it was a P-1684 and was told that wouldn't cause the check engine light to come on.

I went back and found I turned it off too soon! P-1684 came on first, but a few seconds later it said P-456, and then done.

I haven't been able to find out much, but one post says it is usually a bad gas cap. Is that right?
On a Ford Explorer my check engine light came on every few thousand miles after I reset it by disconnecting the battery, until I fixed it by replacing the gas cap. Is this likely to be the same thing?

Is there anyway to reset it other than disconnecting the battery?

Thanks much.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: P-456 Error?

You have a med evap leak, You need to start looking for cracked hoses or loose gas cap. You didn't what year the van is. 2000 to 2007 vans have a small evap hose next to the air cleaner box that has been a common problem for leaks. You need to remove the air cleaner box to inspect.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
toller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 2001 with 100,000 miles.

When it was last driven, 6 weeks ago, it was fine. Last week it showed the problem for the first time. Is the hose likely to go bad from just sitting in the cold, or is it something that was going to happen eventually and it just chose that moment to go?

I realize it will not pass inspection, but other than that is it likely to actually matter? I don't expect to put more than a couple thousand miles on it the rest of the year.

thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes.

Quick Reply: P-456 Error?