Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Caravan stalling...then comes back to life after time...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Pablodragon
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan stalling...then comes back to life after time...

Hi,
Im usually on the 2nd gen Neon forum, but my wifee has a 96 Caravan with a problem...

runs fine but seems after a period of time... anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour... it will just start missing real bad untill it just stalls out... then, can let it sit for a period of time and it seems to come back to life...then the same thing

First happen about 2 months ago, after about a 2 hour drive... stuck on the freeway...checked temp, all fluids, spark plug wires...sat for a while, then it was fine...lasted about a month. Finally found a coupon special to get the plugs replaced at the dealer for 70 bucks... thought that was it... that was a couple weeks ago...they did not replace the wires
Now it's doing it again... getting really bad now... had to have it towed to my house...and of course, now, after sitting for a whole day and night...starts right up and seems to run fine.
I'm the orig owner and have had the ECU replaced under warranty many years ago.. have had regular cooling flushes and even a fuel system flush a number of years ago. Last year the trans was replaced with a rebuilt one.

Could it be as simple as just the plug wires?...it almost sounds like someting heats up and causes the problem (?)

Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Nofrag
Champion

have you changed the fuel filter?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

not that I know of, could probably go thru old service invoices, but I'm gonna say no.

a friend over on the Neon board suggested it may be the fuel pump going... getting hot and shutting down or dieing, then comming back to life after cooling off

Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

I priced out replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter at the dealer(yea, I know, stupid, but I sure aint gonna do it myself)...just wanted a money figure...
was gonna be close to 800 bucks for everything

turning into a money pit...I know of a few more things that about needin to be done, so I'm tradin in the wifee-mobile...upgrading her to a 2006 Caravan.

thanx for the reply

Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Nofrag
Champion

It's actually very easy to do, and the parts are nowhere near half that price. I would atleast change the fuel filter(easy and really cheap), and see if that fixes it. Worst case scenario you're out $20 and a bit of time, and no worse off than you already are.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Does the ck engine lite comes on? If so, what are the codes. Also ck to see if you have a knock sensor on the engine, its beteen the oil pressure switch and starter. Disconnect the sensor and drive the van. There was a tsb for misfire at times, the cause was the knock sensor. Also hook up a fuel pressure gauge if you think the problem is fuel related.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

thanx for the replys, but already took the plunge. Really want something newer for the wife. The Neon and all it's quirks is fine for me, but don't want her stranded anywhere. Was also hearing a strange noise from the right front wheel when taking those freeway on and off ramp turns.

Plus it's about 10 degrees here and I ani't got no garage to work in.

It did have the check engine lite on, however I checked the codes and only got the 'battery recently disconnected' and a ' O2 or emmision code' that I have had on for at least a year, so nothing about fuel stuff came up.

Got a good deal on the new 06. it's a Grand. Does have stuff I don't really need but was easier to sell with, than try and remove. Got the 2 power sliding doors and the flip down DVD player. But it's just me and the wife!...don't have any kids so there's no one to watch the DVD... do get a hell of alot of room in the back with all those seats folded into the floor.

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan stalling...then comes back to life after time...