Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Grand caravan and rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

1.800.991.1997 Customer service Center.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by glentall
Does anyone know the phone number to the Chrysler Customer Service Hotline (if there is such a thing) to (1) report my problem, and/or (2) find out if they have any kind of special "silent recall" on the rear brake problem? There is probably a number in the user manual -- I'll take a look.
The Chrysler Customer Assistance Center general number is 800 992-1997 or Dodge brand phone number 800 423-6343 which can be found in owner's manual or you can submit an email via www.dodge.com

Chrysler does not have silent recalls. You can check outstanding (incomplete) recall information on your vehicle from any of the Brand websites via the "Contact Us" feature found at the bottom of the site home page. Using "recall" in the resulting Contact Us search field will take you to the Answer Connect article entitled Outstanding Recall Information U.S. and Canada. Then enter your VIN to search for outstanding recalls in the recall search function embedded in the article.

You can also have a dealer inspect for the rear brake issue.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 PM
junker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to add some info here. Wife's 2010 Grand Caravan, I never really drive it. Evidently she never uses the parking brake then I drove it and used it. Drivers side rear wheel started getting a little hot. (In excess of 600 degrees F).

At that point I wasn't considering the parking brake as the cause so I assumed a stuck caliper and replaced it. Same issue... 600+ degrees.

I disassembled and cleaned the pad ear slots of the caliper bracket with a wire brush on a drill, filed smooth, and touched the brake pad ears to a grinding wheel. This made them not so dang tight which I feel was restricting them.

The wheel still got hotter than the others but did not exceed 300 degrees F while the others ranged from 120-200 degrees.

I felt like the parking brake cable was too tight and dragging. I don't think the return spring on the caliper is strong enough to fight it. As a test I stretched a spare spring from the parking brake cable T to the rear part of its braket to provide further assist in returning. (This is under the vehicle, drivers side).

Now the temperature of that wheel averages 160-200 degrees. I feel this fairly puts the blame on the parking brake system dragging. The cables appear to be in good shape but obviously there is an issue since my use of the brake triggered this fiasco.

I haven't looked under the dash. I am hoping to find a tension adjustment on the parking brake actuator. If there isn't one then I might try making an adjustable T bracket to replace the factory one.

Just my $0.02

Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by junker
Just wanted to add some info here. Wife's 2010 Grand Caravan, I never really drive it. Evidently she never uses the parking brake then I drove it and used it. Drivers side rear wheel started getting a little hot. (In excess of 600 degrees F).

At that point I wasn't considering the parking brake as the cause so I assumed a stuck caliper and replaced it. Same issue... 600+ degrees.

I disassembled and cleaned the pad ear slots of the caliper bracket with a wire brush on a drill, filed smooth, and touched the brake pad ears to a grinding wheel. This made them not so dang tight which I feel was restricting them.

The wheel still got hotter than the others but did not exceed 300 degrees F while the others ranged from 120-200 degrees.

I felt like the parking brake cable was too tight and dragging. I don't think the return spring on the caliper is strong enough to fight it. As a test I stretched a spare spring from the parking brake cable T to the rear part of its braket to provide further assist in returning. (This is under the vehicle, drivers side).

Now the temperature of that wheel averages 160-200 degrees. I feel this fairly puts the blame on the parking brake system dragging. The cables appear to be in good shape but obviously there is an issue since my use of the brake triggered this fiasco.

I haven't looked under the dash. I am hoping to find a tension adjustment on the parking brake actuator. If there isn't one then I might try making an adjustable T bracket to replace the factory one.

Just my $0.02
Problems relating to pads sticking in the caliper bracket would not be limited to parking brake use. If parking brake led to sticking the problem is elsewhere.

As for parkiing brakes sticking, this is a very common problem that plagues most vehicles with non-stainless cable assemblies, including trucks, cars, vans bicycles and motorcycles. Unless you use the parking brake monthly, the cable assemblie will display increased friction and sticking due to corrosion buildup. The first reaction would be to say the springs are weak, but that is not the cause. The return springs used by OEM's in brake systems are very high quality and seldom weaken in less than a decade. They are not adjustable. Adjustments of that sort are only found in cars produced prior to the 1990's.

the solution involves changing the cables every few years or using the parking brake monthly....your choice. I suspect the cables will work loose and polish themselves if you operate the parking brake 50 times or so. However that does not always work when the cable becomes rusted from non-use and the sheath is lined with teflon/plastic, as most are today. In such cases the assemblies must be replaced. This is a very common issue on mountain bikes and motorcycles that are stored outside. In a matter of weeks the shifter and brake calbes will stick. The factory cables are generally not stainless wire unless the bike costs over $500. Chrysler does not use stainless wire and other domestics don't either....$75K Mercedes might.

Last edited by Lscman; 07-09-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 PM
junker

I see your point. I suppose I was looking for a design failure vs. a worn out part since the problem seems to be so far widespread. The test of putting the additional spring on there at least provides the information that providing some relief from that cable does help alleviate the issue... and that's info to work from.

I understand what you are saying about the cables and non-use. They seem to be plastic coated cables in a plastic sheathing and I see no signs of rust but I'm sure other contaminates are now sharing the sheathing with the cable.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

my rear brakes parking did not work. they replaced the cables and even the foot pedal due to a tooth missing. although lately seems the peddle all to floor and vehicle barely holds.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Michael Oliva
Angry 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan Brakes Locked

Why with all these postings for the same issue for similar vehicles is Dodge not addressing this problem?!?!?!

I went out of town last month and had my rear driver side brake lock on me. There was a terrible sound and noise and the brake was extremely hot! I had to leave my van on a country road and put myself and my daughter in a car that seats 4 when there were 6 of us. Talk about unsafe!

And, this is the 2nd Dodge Caravan this has happened to me. I had a 2006 van that had the passenger side front brake do the same thing. Only this time is smoked and fire trucks were called to the scene. We fixed it 3 years ago thinking it was just something that happened. Now having had it happen to a 2nd Dodge Caravan, I truly believe it is a design flaw that Dodge will not address!!!!!

A friend of mine had a brand new Dakota several years ago which she had only for 2 weeks and the brakes smoked.

I called Dodge several weeks ago. I was told by the person that it may have happened due to not maintaining our vehicle. We take care of our vehicles. How do you explain my friend's issue who had a brand new vehicle for only 2 weeks? Did she not maintain it properly in the 2 weeks she had it?!?!

I am disgusted that I had to pay $750 to get this repaired when clearly there is an issue with Dodge's design. They choose to ignore all these issues. This is a dangerous situation. Dodge needs to take responsibility and fix this problem!!!!!!

This is the 5th Dodge vehicle we have bought. I have loved all their vehicles til now. I don't feel safe anymore and I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER DODGE EVER AGAIN!!!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Lscman
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Oliva
Why with all these postings for the same issue for similar vehicles is Dodge not addressing this problem?!?!?!

I went out of town last month and had my rear driver side brake lock on me. There was a terrible sound and noise and the brake was extremely hot! I had to leave my van on a country road and put myself and my daughter in a car that seats 4 when there were 6 of us. Talk about unsafe!

And, this is the 2nd Dodge Caravan this has happened to me. I had a 2006 van that had the passenger side front brake do the same thing. Only this time is smoked and fire trucks were called to the scene. We fixed it 3 years ago thinking it was just something that happened. Now having had it happen to a 2nd Dodge Caravan, I truly believe it is a design flaw that Dodge will not address!!!!!

A friend of mine had a brand new Dakota several years ago which she had only for 2 weeks and the brakes smoked.

I called Dodge several weeks ago. I was told by the person that it may have happened due to not maintaining our vehicle. We take care of our vehicles. How do you explain my friend's issue who had a brand new vehicle for only 2 weeks? Did she not maintain it properly in the 2 weeks she had it?!?!

I am disgusted that I had to pay $750 to get this repaired when clearly there is an issue with Dodge's design. They choose to ignore all these issues. This is a dangerous situation. Dodge needs to take responsibility and fix this problem!!!!!!

This is the 5th Dodge vehicle we have bought. I have loved all their vehicles til now. I don't feel safe anymore and I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER DODGE EVER AGAIN!!!

Michael,

From a design standpoint, there is absolutely nothing in common with the 2006 and 2010 Caravan rear brake system. That would be a coincidence.

A thread on this website describing the proper fix for the 2010 rear brake sticking problem. Dodge released a revised caliper bracket with greater clearance to the pad backing plate and different clips and pins. For some reason the original parts supplier for the caliper bracket made them a hair too large causing pads to stick instead of slide. I would suggest buying these revised Chrysler/Dodge OE parts to fix the trouble. The proper fix will not come from buying new brake parts in the aftermarket. If you don't get the revised parts it will not be properly fixed and you may experience the problem over and over again.

If you spent $750 on calipers, pads and/or rotors the root cause (out-of-spec caliper mounting brackets) may not have been addressed. If not, the system will stick again and all these expensive new brake parts will fail too.

I suspect this is not a safety recall item because nobody has gotten hurt yet.

Last edited by Lscman; 08-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Doneworking

Originally Posted by Lscman
Michael,

From a design standpoint, there is absolutely nothing in common with the 2006 and 2010 Caravan rear brake system. That would be a coincidence.

A thread on this website describing the proper fix for the 2010 rear brake sticking problem. Dodge released a revised caliper bracket with greater clearance to the pad backing plate and different clips and pins. For some reason the original parts supplier for the caliper bracket made them a hair too large causing pads to stick instead of slide. I would suggest buying these revised Chrysler/Dodge OE parts to fix the trouble. The proper fix will not come from buying new brake parts in the aftermarket. If you don't get the revised parts it will not be properly fixed and you may experience the problem over and over again.
Not true, I had mine done at the dealership with the "Updated Parts". Guess what! Happened again. Really to bad. I really enjoy owning the van. Just don't understand how Chrysler can let this continue and not try to help their customers. Really is shameful. I am very frustrated and feel stupid. Friends told me don't by a Chrysler product. I did. I wanted to support the North American Auto Industry and I got screwed. Not sure what to do now. Do I replace rear calipers and rotors every 20-30 thousand km or do I trade for something that won't mess up all the time.

Last edited by Doneworking; 10-07-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

I am debating as well to just spend the 1500. and upgrade the front and rear to the heavy duty calipers and pads. they have solved the issue. I just not sure yet if I have to do anything with the brake booster due to it also having a different part number for heavy duty. although ya need 17" wheel set.

Originally Posted by Doneworking
Not true, I had mine done at the dealership with the "Updated Parts". Guess what! Happened again. Really to bad. I really enjoy owning the van. Just don't understand how Chrysler can let this continue and not try to help their customers. Really is shameful. I am very frustrated and feel stupid. Friends told me don't by a Chrysler product. I did. I wanted to support the North American Auto Industry and I got screwed. Not sure what to do now. Do I replace rear calipers and rotors every 20-30 thousand km or do I trade for something that won't mess up all the time.

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand caravan and rear brakes