Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 Caravan anti-theft no start - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
alexkharden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Caravan anti-theft no start - please help!

I've done a lot of reading on here about this problem, but I can't seem to figure out if there has ever been a specific cause or solution posted, so I'm going to post it again in hopes that there is some way out of this nightmare.

Here's my problem....

Intermittently when I get in and start the van it will die after a second or two. Try to restart and it'll start and then die. After a total of 5 start and die cycles it will not start anymore. Normally, after leaving it sit for an hour or two, it'll start back up and run just fine. This time it didn't. It sat overnight and still won't start. I don't know what to do and it is really scaring the crap out of my wife because she doesn't know if she can trust the van (she's the primary driver). I've gathered from reading this forum that the anti-theft system is activating and shutting the van down.

So, what do I do? Is there a fix? A bypass? Does anyone know what is causing this? I really need some help here.

Thank you everyone for your help.

P.S. If you post some advice and your post includes an abbreviation, i.e. BCM PCM etc... please also post it's full name and a location on the vehicle of that component because I quite honestly do not know what or where any of that stuff is.

Once again, thank you very much everyone!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

In most cases and I have had this happen to me,The SKIM or SKREEM module is either failed or is about too. You would need to replace it and have the module and keys programed to the van.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
kneebone

Believe it or not, it is almost certainly a cracked solder connection on the back of your instrument cluster. I followed the instructions in the link below and it worked for my 98. IMO it is the first thing you should try as it's easy to do and free if you are at all handy or know someone who is. The person who discovered this fix should get a medal, he saved me hundreds of $.

http://www.ingriddijkers.com/CaravanPics.html

Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
alexkharden

Ok, first off thank you everyone for your help.

So i have the cluster panel in front of me and I do in fact have two broken solder connections. I resoldered them and am pretty happy because everything I've read says that this should fix its ailments.

I read something else that makes me nervous and I wanted to ask you kind people about it.

In addition to the broken solder points I have found some references to a couple of bad diodes on the cluster. Does anyone know anything more about this? I haven't found any specific discussions about it, or pictures or anything.

So does anyone have any more info?

Once again thank you everyone!!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I haven't heard about the diodes, Maybe some of the other members have. I have always replaced the cluster circuit board when there was a problem.

Quick Reply: 98 Caravan anti-theft no start - please help!