Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2.4 grenades at 42k, rebuild suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
2.4victim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 grenades at 42k, rebuild suggestions

Bought a used 2006 Caravan-dealer-traded by original owner, 24k miles a year and a half ago. Developed what was thought to be a leak at the oil pump filter head but turned out to be a catestrophic failure when engine parts were found in the pan, journal pieces I believe.

Our very trusted shop did what turned out to be a nation wide search for a used 2.4, very very very few out there, only hits were high mileage examples at large dollars-$1600 or so. Looked into Jasper; salesguy mentioned that the 2.4 has a few known defects and yes they have some at roughly $3300 after crate and core refunds.

Decided to go with a local engine builder who is held in high esteem who has already taken the engine apart and said it can be rebuild, no cracks but the head gasket was in tough shape; probably the reason why glycol was found in the first uoa Called dealer as soon as the sample came back but you see Dodge doesn't accept gloycol in oil as indicating something is amiss-seriously, they insist on a coolant check for $200.

Anyhow, for a little less than Jasper he will go through the engine and do some blueprinting, balancing and porting, install a new crank, plus add some lubrication passageways I believe to the some (a)? journals/bearings and stand behind his work for 3 years unlimited.

Does anyone have any suggestions for additional work while the engine is in the shop AND is there general agreement that this engine has known issues and is generally a pos like EVERY bone yard and mechanic has stated?

Oh, and oil changes were done at the dealer every 3k by the original owner and I did them every 3k, full synthetic and upper end filters, no Frams for me, a single look at the inside of one was more than enough.

Last edited by 2.4victim; 01-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Did you notice an oil leak coming from the front timing cover at the crankshaft seal? If you did, the engine block is wasted. The cylinder head maybe okay.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 AM
2.4victim

Master Tech, tnks for the reply. Yes there was an indication of a leak at the front timing cover. I am a mechanic but not automotive so bear with me, as I recall the shop, Jasper and the builder commented on the fact that Dodge uses/used 1/2 of a bearing or bearing journal and this is one of the known defects with the 2.4 and this thin part was one that was in the pan. I wish I could show all a picture of how the shaft/crank bored a hole into the cover quite literally it looked like a skilled machinist had done it, if it wasn't my engine it would have been neat to be looking at-all I saw were dollar signs.

As you, the service shop first had serious doubts that the engine could be rebuilt and I was surprised that the rebuilder says he sees no major issues with working with the block-I fear that you may have a reason for asking though, like the builder will find something as they get deeper into the engine?

The most perplexing part of all this; in the days leading up to this the engine sounded absolutely perfect-nothing at all to indicate to me (and I have a very good ear for all sounds mechanical-heating and cooling tech) that even a minor issue was developing.

If you have any suggestions for additional work, IF the engine does in fact prove to be rebuildable I certainly would appreciate it, them. I am smart enough to understand that there cannot be an awful lot of 'blueprinting-balancing- that can be done for the price quoted and I do also understand how the term blueprinting is misused these days, but even minor changes to the engine and some porting would be welcomed: I think.....

Last edited by 2.4victim; 01-12-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 AM
2.4victim

I have the van back, total cost with a 3 yr/unlimited warranty was $3,900 usd.

In a strange perverted way I am glad that the incident happened, what the shop was able to do with the 2.4 really cannot be described-I can put a wine glass with beer in it on top of the valve cover and it will stay on top with the engine running, and the performance, especially low end, is vastly improved (the shop did what they called 'mild street' porting).

The known issue with the factory 1/2 bearing surface was changed along with a machining of an additional oil passageway, I think that was how it went, and with the balancing/blueprinting I now have really a work of art.

But the fact remains, and I do not apologize for putting the facts this way, is that the stock 2.4 is unequivically, categorically junk and this seems to be common knowledge; from a very large nationwide rebuilder to every bone yard I contacted to every shop I spoke to-the comment was the same, the engine has issues and that they see alot of them.

Shame on Dodge for going on record saying that glycol in an oil sample of the 2.4 is 'not necessasarily a problem', for saying that there are no known issues with this engine and for steadfastly refusing any assistance at all with the rebuild...and remember all this with documented 3k or so oil changes.

If you are unfortunate enough to have one, get rid of it while you can, and while you can do so in good faith.

I now have the worlds most expensive 2006 base Caravan, already putting money aside for the tranny.

Last edited by 2.4victim; 02-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.4 grenades at 42k, rebuild suggestions