Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Dodge Caravan Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:18 AM
winuser2003
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Caravan Electrical Issue

I was driving in my van and noticed that my guages went out. Everything else is on, radio, interier lights work, its just the important lights like my guages just do not work and also the dash LED's. Please review the screenshots and I have a you tube video. Please let me know your thoughts.

You tube video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TBcKrjFzgQ

Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 AM
greaper_ca

I had the same issue just a few weeks ago. Not sure if your PDC is the same as an 01, but if you check under the PDC (where the relays and fuses are) there may be some connectors that are corroded. They wire that is responsible for the instrument cluster and signal lights, was corroded with no connection. After I replaced the wire and connector and plugged it in, all my instrument came back on. If it is the connector, I would suggest to go to the wreckers and grab a connector same as the one in question and rewire the connector with the same connector.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The problem maybe the cluster. I would remove the cluster and check all the connections. And see what happens.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your car is trying to say Merry Chrismas early.
j/k

Master tech is right, you problem is probably the cluster. Here is a repair Video from youtube after you remove the cluster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha7KX...layer_embedded

Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM
AndreaRenea
Default No gauges!

I have a 99 and it has done the same thing! Before the gauges would go out and then when I hit a bump or something they would pop back on. Then if they went out for a while I could hit the top of the instrument panel and they would come back on. Now I can't get them to do anything. Even my computer up top does not read anything besides the weather. All of electrical work fine. Lights, turn signals, interior lights, radio, keyless entry. But no gauges and no odometer or gear shift indicator. I hope maybe someone has an answer because I might hold on to it a little longer if I can get this problem fixed!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ancient answer to an ancient problem. "I could hit the top of the instrument panel and they would come back on" tells me the solder joints securing the instrument cluster connector to the cluster circuit board are cracked and opening the circuit. You'll have to remove the instrument cluster then remove the circuit board and reflow the connector solder joints. Here's how:

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Caravan Electrical Issue