Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

00 Caravan electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
jdross440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Caravan electrical problem

The van starts ok and runs good but when I turn the key off, the engine stops like it should. However all the lights that would come on on the instrument panel when in the run without the engine running come on and won't go off. I can take the key out. It did this once about a month ago but went away until today. A few times over the years (a dozen maybe) when going to start it would not crank (no clicks or anything other than indicators lighting) but could turn the key off and back on and it would start. Could this be the ignition switch or something in the computer?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Montreal300
Professional

I believe your switch is finished.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM
jdross440

Found the problem. When putting it in park, the shift lever spring wasn't pulling the lever all the way forward. It would show it was in park, however without the lever all the way forward it kept another lever from moving far enough to allow the switch to rotate to the real off/remove key position. Added a little oil on the pivot mechanism and it seems to be working now.

Quick Reply: 00 Caravan electrical problem