Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Pacifica question for Dodge/Chrysler experts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 PM
gareth676
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacifica question for Dodge/Chrysler experts

Hi all

I know this is a Didge site but there must be many Dodge/Chrysler/Plymuth mechanics out there that might be able to help!

I believe my Transmission is the same as that used on the Dodge Caravan.

Can anyone answer the following. I have an 04 Pacifica AWD with a broken transmission. Have a source for cheap (but fully functional) FWD transmission. Is it possible to simply remove the cover plate on the FWD transmission and bolt on my PTO/Converter assembly to allow my prop to connect? - or is there more to it than that.

It looks like it should work, but don't know if there are any additional bits inside the box that would be needed to make the conversion.

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

BTW - I also have a 2003 Dodge GC which is why I am a member of this site

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards to all

Gareth

Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The answer is no, It will not work. The bell housing is not the same as the transmission that's in the Pacifica. The 3.5 has a little bit larger bell housing. The internal parts will work, but not the case or the valve body.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
gareth676

Hi Master Tech

Thanks for your reply and interest. Not sure I was clear in my question - both transmissions are Pacifica transmissions - the one in the car is AWD - the one I can get hold of is FWD - would have thought the bell housings were the same. Did you think I was suggesting replacing with a Dodge Caravan transmission?

Thanks again for your help.

Gareth

Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

That's what I thought. You were replacing the transmission from a caravan. Sorry. Yes you can remove the extension housing on the FWD and install the adapter from the AWD transmission. Be sure to replace the O-ring on the adapter plate.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM
gareth676

That's very good news - this has been a huge undertaking for a home enthusiast and I didn't want to go to all the trouble of re-installing the engine and transmission - only to find it wouldn't work. Will replace o-ring (and all the other hard to get to parts) before re-installing.

Regards

Gareth

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Pacifica question for Dodge/Chrysler experts