Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Timing belt problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 PM
damoldyank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks well I'm finally getting back to working on this van. I ordered a computer and installed it but that didn't help. Van is still doing the same thing. I swapped out the cam sensor and crank sensor with another van that was running and that didn't make any difference. To sum it up I have good compression, good spark, good fuel pressure, injectors are working, cam and crank sensors and computer are new. When I crank it over it sounds like it's firing on the exhaust stroke instead of the intake stroke. The best I can get is a little back fire through the throttle body. Where do I go from here? Have a great day. damn old yank

Old 10-31-2014, 08:21 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

i chime in but I am not a mechanic of vehicles. did you move any of the wheels when u removed the belt. the only guess like you said was if its firing on exhaust I assume you have maybe rotate the engine back to top dead centre maybe what ever 90 or 180 turn. but hope someone here chimes in on your issue cause they probably know better than i

Old 02-28-2015, 11:23 AM
damoldyank

found the problem, shear pin on cam shaft pulley .

Old 02-28-2015, 12:33 PM
tjnc
Professional

autocomputerexchange, autozone, and dealerships are the only reliable sources for PCMs.. All have decent warranties included..

P0601 actually masks all other codes, and can't be erased with any tool, only a $85.00 dealership flash or $200.00 plug&play PCM can escape it, and if it's because of a blown driver, ground, or injector short, or anything directly connected to PCM pins, it'll immdietly happen again. If it's because battery or other undocumented reasons it'll happen again in around 50 starts..

I drove one 200k with p0601, I never found out what cause it because it's hell to diagnose.. Dealerships will cop-out and probably just keep replacing it..

EDIT: If you have a 3.8 in a 3.3 VIN van or vice-verse you'll have a headache getting the right PCM..

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Timing belt problems