Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Troubles Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Troubles Starting

I own a 2002 Dodge Caravan SE. 198,000 KM.

Three major symptoms with the car. Not sure if they are related...
  1. Attempting To Start Car Makes a Click and No Crank - The vehicle has been quite reliable until this year. When i go to start the car i turn the key to START and often i find the car will make a CLICK sound but there is no cranking action as if the car has no battery. All battery related items within the car appear fine, the battery is fully charged. I turn the key OFF then back to START and occasionally the same CLICK and no cranking occurs. I typically cycle through this action 3 times before FINALLY the car starts cranking the engine.
  2. Very Long Cranking But No Firing - When the car attempts to start cranking the engine i typically am sitting there for several seconds waiting for the car to start. The vehicle is cranking but it is not firing to start the engine. Eventually it fires.
  3. Steering Wheel Turning Growling - When i turn the steering wheel there is this grinding noise almost like a low pitch growl.

Trouble Codes

At the moment the CHECK ENGINE light is on and has been on for several months now. It reads P0171 (Generic - System Too Lean Bank 1).

Keydance DTC codes states: P1684 - Battery Loss in Last 50 starts. This could be from the time i took the car into Speedy to have them check about the brake light issue -- they replaced the brake light switch. But i do recall disconnecting the battery to check things too.

Self Diagnostic (holding down the trip switch) - Instrument Cluster DTCs: 100.3 - EATX Communication Fault , 100.5 - ORC Communication Fault, 400.1 - Unknown

Much appreciated for any assistance. Overall good car though.

Last edited by quantass; 09-01-2014 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JRod2969 (06-19-2021)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:39 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The starting problem could be low voltage getting to the starter or the starter itself. The long crank and no start could be a crank or cam sensor or the ignition system is loosing a buss circuit. Maybe the cluster? Growling sound could be low on fluid, power steering reservoir filter plugged or the strut bearing mounts.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by master tech
The starting problem could be low voltage getting to the starter or the starter itself. The long crank and no start could be a crank or cam sensor or the ignition system is loosing a buss circuit. Maybe the cluster? Growling sound could be low on fluid, power steering reservoir filter plugged or the strut bearing mounts.
Much appreciated. I will break our the service guide to understand things better. So the starter eh. I will locate it and test for voltage input and keep going down the list.

Any more leads and troubleshooting steps welcomed!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Symptom #1 - Yup, start with testing the starter. Tap on it while attempting to start. If it fires up it indicates the solenoid contacts are worn. Very common on a 12 year old car.

#2 - Hard start just at first start of the day or after sitting a few hours can indicate a fuel leak most likely at the pump in the tank or a fuel injector.

#3 - Most commonly fluid starvation caused by a clogged filter in the reservoir. Easiest to just change the reservoir - around $30 at your dealer.

100.3 EATX com fault meaning transmission computer (TCM) wasn't talking on the data bus at some time or another.
100.5 ORC com fault meaning the airbag system was doing the same
400.1 improper shutdown

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-06-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Troubles Starting