Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:14 AM
AliG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problem

Hello,

Recently the leak detection pump was changed on my 04' Dodge Caravan. I then started noticing the needle on the fuel gauge go down as I drove. I have a full tank of gas and after driving 15 minutes or so I can see the needle go down to halfway or past halfway. I turn off the van, wait a few minutes, and the needle goes back up to where it was initially.

I have read some threads stating it could be a faulty fuel sending unit. Other threads I read state changing the fuel sending unit does not resolve the problem and other threads state to check the wires before concluding the issue is the fuel sending unit.

If you have experienced this issue what was the resolution? Was it indeed the fuel sending unit? This only began after the mechanic changed the leak detection pump. The reason the leak detection pump was changed was due to a CEL.

Thank you.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 AM
AliG

Hello, any suggestions to the above?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:36 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime the tank was near full the gauge would drop to E and the ding, ding, ding gnawed at me until I changed the pump. That was 5 years ago and all is still fine.

Many years ago I changed a pump on another van because the gauge was dead. It worked fine until the van was totaled 2 years later.

Not my profession but I've never heard of the EVAP system causing a fuel gauge problem in 10 years of cruising forums.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-01-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:53 AM
AliG

Thanks for the input Cougar. The dealer sent a notice about several Caravans and the fuel tank problem where the van stalls after fueling to the top. There is no cost to the customer and they have ordered the part. The dealer also suggested to change the fuel sending unit but a few threads I've read state this does not fix the issue. Any other suggestions or input?

Old 03-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

"The dealer sent a notice about several Caravans and the fuel tank problem where the van stalls after fueling to the top." Could be related to the valve (name???) in the top of the tank that keeps fuel from flowing to the EVAP system charcoal canister as fuel reaches the top of the tank during refueling. A bad valve allows fuel to fill the canister causing stalling. Is your van stalling immediately after refueling? As far as I know the only fix is to replace the fuel tank as the valve is built into the tank.

As far as the gauge goes the players are the fuel pump assembly, actually the fuel sender on the pump, the BCM, the guage itself or wiring. Of those that post a fix on a forum the majority of the time replacing the pump fixes it. I've read of a BCM or instrument cluster change fixing it maybe 3-4 times. You can test the gauge by engaging the cluster self test. Hold the trip **** in on the cluster then turn the key to on/run (not start). as the test starts you can release the ****. The gauge should start to cycle through 4 readings in a few seconds.

Would you like a wire diagram of the system? Send me an email address to send it to via a private message. How? Click Cougar41 at left.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-02-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 AM
AliG

Thanks Cougar. The pump was changed 2 years back but the gauge issue began happening several weeks ago. I will let the dealer change the tank. In terms of the cluster test, are you talking about where you turn the ignition on/off 3 times and then get a "P code?" Yes, I would like a wiring diagram and will send you a private message.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Cluster test is not the P code key dance test. It will show you functionality of the cluster and reveal any data bus codes that may be stored.

Go to post #16 titled DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS in this link: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...rmation-2.html

Just emailed 2 instrument cluster diagrams and 3 engine control diagrams.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-06-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Fuel Gauge Problem