Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: '02 Caravan -- Jerks/Jolts when slowing to 48 KM/h

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:35 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '02 Caravan -- Jerks/Jolts when slowing to 48 KM/h

I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3, V6, automatic). The car runs fine but when i drive, lets say 60 km/h for a minute, then slow down there is a consistent and noticeable single jerk / jolt of the car when it hits 48 km/h as if someone bumped me from behind. Its enough of a jolt that I can feel it lifting me off my seat. Well maybe not that strong but this is not normal. Again it consistently happens ONLY when i slow down and cross 48 km/h. The car isnt stalling.

What the heck is this jerk?

Last edited by quantass; 08-10-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:02 AM
offgas
Professional

Torque Converter Clutch releasing?

Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Torque Converter lockup is not working right. You'll likely need a TC and probably a pump, maybe even a rebuild.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:27 PM
quantass
Professional
Question

Originally Posted by TNtech
Torque Converter lockup is not working right. You'll likely need a TC and probably a pump, maybe even a rebuild.
I was told to do a full transmission flush to see if that will fix it. Would that be a good idea first or is it for sure the TC? Any other troubleshooting tests i can perform to be sure?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:08 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by quantass
I was told to do a full transmission flush to see if that will fix it. Would that be a good idea first or is it for sure the TC? Any other troubleshooting tests i can perform to be sure?
At this point, a flush might help since it will clear the TC of all the fluid. Pan drops can't do this. But then it may just make things worse. Maybe the money spent on the flush should go towards the rebuild or the reman trans? It's really up to you.

Typically, by the time the shudder gets bad, it's too late to fix it with a fluid change or a conditioner/additive.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:31 PM
quantass
Professional

@TNtech, now you're making me wonder if I'll make the issue worse with a DIY transmission flush. Hmmmm. You guys are pointing to a Torque Converter. I do see it costs $126 (USD) over at Rock Auto but no clue if the issue is localized to that area.

BTW the vehicles mileage is 227,000 KM (141,000 miles) and has never had a filter change or a complete flush before, AFAIK. ;P

Old 09-02-2016, 12:31 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by quantass
@TNtech, now you're making me wonder if I'll make the issue worse with a DIY transmission flush. Hmmmm. You guys are pointing to a Torque Converter. I do see it costs $126 (USD) over at Rock Auto but no clue if the issue is localized to that area.

BTW the vehicles mileage is 227,000 KM (141,000 miles) and has never had a filter change or a complete flush before, AFAIK. ;P

The labor is what kills you.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: '02 Caravan -- Jerks/Jolts when slowing to 48 KM/h