Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Heater blows cold unless the engine is under load

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Purelife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater blows cold unless the engine is under load

2011 GC Crew with 97000 miles.

The heater in my van doesn't always blow hot anymore. The front is intermittent and NOT biased to one side or the other. (When I search the issue, the one-side-cold-other-side-hot is all I come up with. For me It's all or none. Sometimes it works great like its supposed to. Then, without apparent reason, its like the temp has been turned all the way to "LO". I have noticed, and I am not kidding, if I give it some throttle the heat comes back until I let off the throttle again, at which point it cools off again. If I didn't have the seat heaters I would have been asking this a while ago. Also, the rear heater is completely cold. No heat at all. We have blankets in the car for the kids.

Anyone experienced this?

I am currently working through a busted fuel pump relay. It should be fixed next week with the Durango recall part. I also replaced the thermostat a few months back. I made sure the antifreeze was filled up when I finished.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:27 PM
rusty6666

maybe ur heater core is blocked or ur antifreeze could be low i had this before and it was my heater core when u rev it in neutral i woud get heat then let off on the pedal and it would be very low heat not hot at all.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:10 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

your symptoms are textbook low coolant level or air in the cooling system.
when the engine is revved up...more coolant is moved through the system and heater core.
inspect for a leak. have the cooling system vacuum filled.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Purelife

So on Wednesday I mentioned this issue to a guy at work. We went to the car and looked. Sure enough the coolant was low. The bottle looked full from the outside but it was empty when I opened it up. The rad took about a quart and the bottle took a lot more. I topped them off and the heater is fine now. So hot I even have to turn it off sometimes. The rear blows warm now too. I changed the thermostat earlier this year and lost a little coolant. I though that it was still full enough. I am watching for leaks just in case.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:21 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

don't forget to check the rear heater lines and rear heater core...there are common leaks points.